(A) To comply with minimum standards of habitability:
(1) In housing units for use by less than ten occupants of one-story construction, two means of escape remotely separated from each other shall be provided. One of the two required means of escape may be a readily accessible and unobstructed window so constructed that it can be opened to a space of not less than twenty-four inches by twenty-four inches. If the second means of escape is screened, the screen shall open readily. In housing units in existence in the camp on April 2, 1985, a small door or panel that may be readily pushed or kicked open outward may be substituted for an openable window if it is readily accessible and unobstructed and so constructed that it can be opened to a space of not less than twenty-four inches by twenty-four inches. This small door or panel shall be clearly marked "Fire Exit" in both English and the native language of the camp occupants or easily understood pictures or symbols.
(2) All sleeping quarters intended for use by ten or more occupants, central dining facilities, and common assembly rooms shall have at least two doors remotely separated so as to provide alternate means of escape to the outside or to an interior hall that leads directly to an approved exit.
(3) Sleeping quarters and common assembly rooms on the second story shall have an interior stairway and a permanent, affixed exterior ladder or a second interior or exterior stairway. These two means of egress shall be remotely separated from each other.
(4) Sleeping and common assembly rooms located above the second story shall not be used if they are disapproved by a state or local fire or building department having jurisdiction.
(5) Each housing unit shall be equipped with at least one ceiling-mounted or wall-mounted smoke alarm that shall be maintained in working condition at the time of occupancy. The smoke alarm shall be repaired or replaced as needed.
(6) A dry chemical, multi-purpose 4A 60 BC or equivalent pressure type fire extinguisher in good working order shall be provided and located not more than seventy-five feet from each dwelling. The operator may provide individual dry chemical, multi-purpose 2A 10 BC or equivalent pressure type fire extinguishers in good working order in each housing unit to comply with this rule. All fire extinguishers shall be equipped with written instructions or pictures for appropriate operation.
(7) A first-aid kit shall be provided and readily accessible for use at all times. The first aid kit shall consist of unused disposable gloves and a sufficient supply of materials to stop bleeding, and to clean and cover minor cuts and abrasions.
(8) The camp operator shall post the current agricultural labor camp license and the current migrant agricultural ombudsman poster in a conspicuous place. A sign shall also be posted, in English and the native language of the camp occupants, listing the telephone numbers for emergency services, including but not limited to police, sheriff, fire or rescue unit, and address of the camp.
(9) No flammable or volatile liquids or materials shall be stored in or adjacent to a habitable room, except for those needed for current household use.
(10) Agricultural pesticides and toxic chemicals shall not be stored or mixed in the camp.
(11) The camp operator shall immediately report to the health commissioner of the health district in which the camp is located, any communicable disease or suspected foodborne disease outbreaks.
(B) To comply with voluntary standards of habitability:
(1) An operable phone for emergency calls, shall be located in the camp for the occupants use.
(2) In housing units where combustible fuel is used to heat or cook, a carbon monoxide alarm shall be installed and maintained in working condition. The carbon monoxide alarm shall be repaired or replaced as needed.
(3) Each housing unit shall be equipped with smoke alarms in each sleeping room.
All smoke alarms shall be interconnected and hard-wired to the housing unit's electrical current.
Cite as Ohio Admin. Code 3701-33-13
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 01/01/2022
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 3733.42
Rule Amplifies: 3733.42 , 3733.43, 3733.431, 3733.44, 3733.45, 3733.46, 3733.47, 3733.471, 3733.48
Prior Effective Dates: 6/1/1975, 4/2/85, 9/6/98