(A) To apply for certification as an asbestos hazard abatement specialist, a person shall submit an application in accordance with rule 3701-34-03 of the Administrative Code. The application for certification as an asbestos hazard abatement specialist shall include:
(1) Name, social security number, date of birth, and mailing address of applicant;
(2) Employer name and mailing address;
(3) Business and home telephone numbers;
(4) Name and location of asbestos training courses with attached copies of certificates;
(5) Information regarding any felony convictions under any state or federal law designated to protect the environment; and
(6) List of any asbestos licenses or certifications the applicant holds or has held in any other state.
(B) To become certified and to maintain certification under this rule, an asbestos hazard abatement specialist shall provide documentation that he or she meets the following criteria:
(1) Submittal of a completed application on a form prescribed by the director;
(4) A passing score of at least seventy per cent on an approved examination; and
(5) For renewal of certification, satisfactory completion of an annual refresher training course approved by the director pursuant to section 3710.10 of the Revised Code and rule 3701-34-07 of the Administrative Code.
(C) Unless that person is not supervising and providing oversight only, asbestos hazard abatement specialist engaging in any asbestos hazard abatement project shall, during the course of the project:
(1) Conduct each project in compliance with the decontamination procedures, project containment procedures, and asbestos fiber containment methods established by regulations of the United States environmental protection agency, 40 C.F.R. Part 61, Subpart M (1990), and the United States occupational safety and health administration, 29 C.F.R. section 1926.1101 (2000), for business entities, or the United States environmental protection agency, 40 C.F.R. Part 763, Subpart G (2000,) for public entities;
(2) Ensure that workers possess proof of valid certification, respirator fit test and physician's written opinion at all times while at a project site;
(3) Ensure that workers handle and dispose of asbestos-containing materials and disposable clothing in a manner that will prevent contamination or recontamination of the environment and the public;
(4) Ensure that workers properly utilize protective clothing and respiratory equipment and comply with the applicable health and safety standards set forth in division (A) of section 3710.08 of the Revised Code and Chapter 3701-04 of the Administrative Code; and
(5) Ensure that there is no smoking, eating, or drinking in the contained work area.
(D) An asbestos hazard abatement specialist engaging in any asbestos hazard abatement project shall:
(1) Accurately, truthfully and competently perform and complete asbestos hazard abatement activities, reports, records, and any other professional work performed by the asbestos hazard abatement specialist in that capacity;
(2) Upon the request of the director, make available all reports, records and any other professional work;
(3) Notify the director, in writing, within five business days of making any change which would render the information in the application for certification no longer accurate; and
(4) Possess proof of valid certification, respirator fit test, and physician's written opinion at all times while at a project site.
Cite as Ohio Admin. Code 3701-34-05
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 08/29/2014 and 08/15/2019
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 3710.02
Rule Amplifies: 3710.05, 3710.08
Prior Effective Dates: 11/4/85, 10/6/86, 3/23/1987 (Emer.), 7/20/87, 2/1/94, 9/19/04