(A) Each newborn or infant shall be screened before discharge, in accordance with procedures set forth in this chapter for the presence of critical congenital heart disease, unless the newborn or infant has had a pediatric echocardiogram or is being discharged home on oxygen.
(B) All hospitals, freestanding birthing centers, and newborn care nurseries that are required by this chapter to conduct critical congenital heart disease screening shall:
(1) Designate a CCHD newborn screening coordinator responsible for the coordination, implementation and follow-up procedures for the facility's CCHD screening;
(2) Notify the Ohio department of health genetics section of the name of the individual designated as the CCHD newborn screening coordinator whenever the designated individual changes;
(3) Prior to conducting the critical congenital heart disease screening, the person designated in the applicable provision of this rule shall oversee or ensure that each newborn or infant's parent, legal guardian, or legal custodian, is given notice of the screening to be conducted.
(a) When a birth occurs in a hospital, the hospital shall provide the information;
(b) When a birth occurs in a freestanding birth center, the freestanding birthing center shall provide the information;
(5) Communicate the results of the critical congential heart disease screening to the newborn's or infant's parent, guardian, or custodian, and attending physician.
(6) Report the results of the newborn's or infant's critical congenital heart disease screening to the Ohio department of health through the vital statistics electronic birth certificate system.
(7) Refer newborns or infants that receive abnormal screening results to providers for appropriate pediatric follow-up services. If a newborn is transferred to another hospital before screening can take place, the receiving hospital shall conduct the screening when it is determined to be medically appropriate. Hospitals without access to the Ohio department of health vital statistics electronic birth certificate system shall report screening results to the Ohio department of health on a form provided by the department.
Cite as Ohio Admin. Code 3701-54-02