(A) Each inpatient rehabilitation facility shall have patient bedrooms that, at a minimum, meet the following requirements:
(1) Sufficient open floor space to allow each patient or personnel to easily maneuver a wheelchair and to allow for the transfer of each patient from the wheelchair to the bed;
(2) Maximum bedroom capacity shall be no more than four patients;
(3) A call system that is connected electrically, electronically, by radio frequency transmission, or in a like manner that:
(a) Provides for independent operation by each patient from the patient's bed; and
(b) Effectively alerts the staff member or members on duty of emergencies or patient needs;
(4) A bed of adjustable height with appropriate supports, which facilitates patient transfer from a wheelchair to the bed, for each patient; and
(5) Appropriate furnishings and adequate storage space designed to meet the special needs of rehabilitation patients for each patient.
(B) Each inpatient rehabilitation facility shall provide the following structural features:
(1) Flooring shall be designed to minimize slipping;
(2) Patient bathrooms shall:
(a) Have sufficient space to allow private use of hand washing, toilet, and bathing or shower facilities by a patient in a wheelchair, with an assisting attendant;
(b) Be equipped with grab bars and appropriate supports so that physically disabled patients may use toilet, hand washing, and bathing or shower facilities; and
(c) Have a call system that is connected electrically, electronically, by radio frequency transmission, or in a like manner that effectively alerts the staff member or members on duty of emergencies or patient needs.
(3) Hand rails on both sides of corridors, ramps, and stairs in areas used by patients;
(4) Doors to be used by patients shall be wide enough to accommodate wheelchairs;
(5) Adequate space designated for group recreation and dining designed to accommodate patients in wheelchairs; and
(6) Adequate and appropriate space for the rehabilitation treatment services provided in the facility that facilitate the treatment goals of the patients served.
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 02/16/2016 and 02/15/2021
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 3702.13, 3702.30
Rule Amplifies: 3702.12, 3702.13, 3702.30
Prior Effective Dates: 1/13/1996, 9/5/02