(A) Each freestanding birthing center shall have an administrator.
(B) Each center shall have a director of patient services who shall be a physician or a CNM who has contracted with a collaborating physician.
(C) Each center shall establish a personnel file for each staff member that shall be retained for two years after the staff member is no longer associated with the center.,, is maintained in a manner to ensure confidentiality, as provided by law, and contains, at a minimum, the following:
(1) Documentation of the qualifications of the staff to provide services;
(2) An established system of records sufficient for the director to ascertain that all individuals employed by the center who function in a professional capacity meet the standards applicable to that profession, including but not limited to, possessing a current Ohio license, registration, or certification, if required by law;
(3) Documentation of any malpractice insurance carrier, if applicable;
(4) Reports of malpractice claims, if applicable;
(6) Documentation of current certification from the American heart association in cardiac life support or current certification from the American academy of pediatrics in neonatal resuscitation, if applicable; and
(D) Each center shall provide staff access to reference materials and provide continuing education, orientation, and ongoing training that shall be appropriate to the tasks that each staff member will be expected to perform. Training shall be designed to ensure appropriate skill levels are maintained and that staff are informed of changes in techniques, philosophies, goals, and similar matters. Ongoing training may include attending and participating in professional meetings and seminars and may also include:
(1) Universal precautions and infection control procedures;
(2) Fire, safety and disaster procedures;
(3) Licensure requirements;
(4) The philosophy of the center; and
(5) Procedures for the stabilization of newborns from birth to transport.
(E) Each center shall provide information concerning the philosophy of the center to applicants for employment.
(F) Each center shall provide for the availability of and access to consulting specialists.
(G) Each center shall maintain a sufficient number of staff and schedule staff for availability within the center in number and type to:
(1) Meet the demand for services routinely provided by the center;
(2) Meet the needs of each patient;
(3) Ensure patient safety; and
(4) Ensure that no mother in active labor is left unattended.
(H) Each center shall establish and post a schedule for staff and consulting specialists that includes coverage for periods of high demand or emergency.
(I) A staff member who is current in certification from the American heart association in cardiac life support and a second staff member who is current in certification from the American academy of pediatrics in neonatal resuscitation shall be present at each birth.
(J) A physician or CNM shall attend each birth.
(K) A physician shall be available for stabilization and care of ill newborns and mothers.
Cite as Ohio Admin. Code 3701-83-38
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 02/16/2016 and 02/15/2021
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 3702.13, 3702.30
Rule Amplifies: 3702.12, 3702.13, 3702.30
Prior Effective Dates: 1/13/1996, 6/27/96, 9/5/02, 6/1/06, 4/24/11