(A) Each freestanding birth center shall provide sufficient space for the number of patients and patient families and staff members to assure privacy for patients and families including:
(1) A waiting room;
(2) An examination room;
(3) A staff area, conference area, or classroom; and
(4) A Family room with a designated play area for children.
(B) Each freestanding birth center shall have a minimum of two birth rooms. The birth room shall:
(1) Be of adequate size and appropriate configuration to provide for the equipment, staff members, supplies and emergency procedures required for the physical and emotional care of the mother, family, and the newborn during birth, labor, and the postpartum period; and
(2) Have a minimum floor area of one hundred and sixty square feet. The length or width of the room shall have a minimum dimension of eleven feet. The vestibule, toilet and bathing areas and closets will not be considered in determining the square footage;
(3) Have doorways and hallways of adequate width and configuration to accommodate maneuvering of ambulance stretchers and beds;
(4) Be located to provide rapid unimpeded access to an exit of the building which shall accommodate emergency transportation vehicles and equipment; and
(5) Have hot and cold running water.
(C) Each freestanding birth center shall provide:
(1) Toilet and bathing facilities including toilet, sink and bath or shower facilities with appropriately placed grab bars for patients. The toilet and bathing facilities shall be shared by not more than two birth rooms;
(2) Toilet and hand washing facilities for families, and personnel;
(3) Space for coats, boots, and umbrellas in inclement weather;
(4) A system of communication between the birth room and other areas of the center that effectively can alert the staff on duty of emergencies or patient needs;
(5) Access to an outside telephone line;
(6) Handrails in halls, stairwells and bathrooms;
(7) Childproof electrical outlets in public areas;
(8) Access to a drinking fountain or potable drinking water with disposable cup dispenser;
(9) A system to provide emergency lighting; and
(10) A separate area for storing clean and sterile supplies.
(D) Each freestanding birth center shall establish and maintain safety guidelines, practices and policies which are reviewed at least once every twelve months to assure a safe environment for patients, families, visitors and staff members. The center shall conduct and maintain records of the following:
(1) Evaluation of the heat, ventilation, emergency lighting, waste disposal, water supply, laundry and kitchen equipment; and
(2) Evaluation of the physical environment for hazards that may cause injury from falls, electrical shock, poisoning and burns. Risk factors of hazards include, but are not limited to, unsafe toys, unprotected stairs and unlocked storage cabinets. The review of the physical environment shall include the exterior of the facility including walkways, parking lots and outside recreation areas.
(E) Freestanding birth centers may provide laundry services on-site or off-site. Centers that provide laundry services on-site shall provide an area for laundry equipment with counter and storage space. The center shall provide for the separate collection, storage, and disposal of soiled materials. Soiled laundry shall be held in the soiled holding area until deposited in the washer.
(F) Sterile supplies may be prepackaged disposables or processed off-site. If the freestanding birth center sterilizes instruments and supplies on-site, an area for accommodation of sterilizing equipments appropriate to the volume of the birth center shall be provided.
(G) Each freestanding birth center shall provide an area for families to store and serve light refreshments. The area shall include a sink and counter space, oven or microwave, refrigerator, cooking utensils, disposable tableware or dishwasher, storage space, and a seating area.
(H) Each freestanding birth center shall provide in each birth room an area for equipment and supplies for newborn care and a separate area for the equipment and supplies for maternal care.