(A) The medical director of the adult open heart surgery service shall be board certified in an appropriate specialty. The medical director shall:
(1) Be responsible for oversight of care in the service;
(2) Be credentialed to provide adult open heart surgery services at the hospital where he or she is the medical director; and
(3) Actively perform open heart procedures at the hospital where he or she is the medical director.
(B) The provider of an open heart surgery service shall have at least two thoracic surgeons on staff, credentialed to perform open heart procedures at the hospital and actively perform open heart procedures at the hospital.
(C) The provider of an open heart surgery service shall have competent and qualified staff available, including but not limited to:
(1) Surgical assistants to assist the surgeon. A surgical assistant may be a resident, another physician or a specially trained surgical assistant;
(2) Cardiac anesthesiologists with special training in the anesthetic and supportive requirements of open heart surgery;
(3) Nursing staff that shall include appropriate numbers of scrub nurses or technicians and circulating nurses or technicians. A minimum of one scrub nurse and one circulating nurse is necessary. Nursing staff shall be trained in cardiac surgical operating room procedures;
(4) A cardiac surgical intensive care unit shall be staffed at the appropriate nurse patient ratio commensurate with the acuity of the patients and the amount of time following surgery that such care is necessary. Cardiac surgical intensive care nurses shall have specialized training to develop the theoretical knowledge and clinical skills required for the care of cardiac surgical patients; and
(5) A minimum of two perfusionists. Perfusionists shall be graduates of an approved circulation technology training program or have equivalent training and experience.
(D) In addition to the requirements of paragraph (C) of this rule, an open heart surgery service shall have appropriate staff available, including but not limited to pharmacists, dieticians, respiratory therapists, physical therapists, cardiac rehabilitation therapists, and social workers.
(E) Staffing requirements of this rule may be met by individuals with equivalent or greater qualifications if the replacement's scope of practice encompasses the duties of the required staff.
119.032 review dates:
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 3702.11, 3702.13
Rule Amplifies: 3702.11, 3702.12, 3702.13 , 3702.14, 3702.141, 3702.15, 3702.16, 3702.18, 3702.19, 3702.20
Prior Effective Dates: 3/20/1997, 3/24/03, 5/15/08, 9/3/09