(A) Each PICU shall have controlled access with no through traffic.
(B) The location of the PICU:
(1) Is recommended to be in close proximity to the physician on-call office.
(2) Shall be in close proximity to a family waiting area; and
(3) Shall be available by gurney to the emergency department, the surgical area, and the recovery area.
(C) Each PICU shall contain the following distinct areas:
(1) Patient isolation rooms;
(2) A clean linen room;
(3) A soiled linen room;
(4) Equipment storage;
(6) A medication station with drug refrigerator and locked narcotic cabinet;
(7) A nourishment station;
(8) Hand washing facilities;
(9) Staff and patient toilets; and
(10) Patient personal effects storage.
(D) All patient rooms shall have:
(1) The capacity to provide patient privacy, such as through the use of walls or curtains;
(2) Easy, rapid access to the head of the bed; and
(3) Adequate electrical outlets, compressed air, oxygen, and vacuum outlets per bed sufficient in number to supply all necessary equipment.
(E) Each PICU shall have a rapid and reliable system that timely reports and receives laboratory results.
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 02/27/2017 and 03/01/2022
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 3702.11, 3702.13
Rule Amplifies: 3702.11, 3702.12, 3702.13 , 3702.14, 3702.141, 3702.15, 3702.16, 3702.18, 3702.19, 3702.20
Prior Effective Dates: 3/1/1997, 3/24/03, 5/15/08