(A) The medical director of the pediatric cardiovascular surgery service shall be board certified in an appropriate specialty. The medical director shall be:
(1) Responsible for oversight and care in the service;
(2) Credentialed to provide pediatric cardiovascular surgery services at the hospital where he or she is the medical director; and
(3) Active in performing pediatric cardiovascular surgery procedures at the hospital where he or she is the medical director.
(B) The provider of a pediatric cardiovascular surgery service shall have on staff at least two thoracic surgeons, credentialed to perform and actively performs pediatric cardiovascular surgery procedures at the hospital.
(C) The provider of a pediatric cardiovascular surgery service shall have competent and qualified staff available, including but not limited to:
(1) Surgical assistants to assist the surgeon. A surgical assistant may consist of a resident, another physician, or a specially trained surgical assistant;
(2) Anesthesiologists with expertise in the anesthetic and support requirements of pediatric cardiovascular surgery;
(3) Nursing staff which shall include appropriate numbers of scrub nurses or technicians and circulating nurses or technicians. A minimum of one scrub nurse and one circulating nurse or technician alternative as noted , is necessary. Nursing staff shall be trained in pediatric cardiovascular surgical operating room procedures;
(4) Pediatric intensive care unit staff at the appropriate nurse/patient ratio commensurate with the acuity of the patients and the amount of time following surgery that such care is necessary. Pediatric intensive care nurses and physicians shall have specialized training to develop the theoretical knowledge and clinical skills required for the care of pediatric cardiovascular surgical patients; and
(5) A minimum of two perfusionists. Perfusionists shall be graduates of an approved circulation technology training program or have equivalent training and experience.
(D) In addition to the requirements of paragraph (C) of this rule, the provider of a pediatric cardiovascular surgery service shall have appropriate staff available, including but not limited to pharmacists, dieticians, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and social workers.
(E) Staffing requirements of this rule may be met by individuals with equivalent or greater qualifications if the replacement's scope of practice encompasses the duties of the required staff.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 04/05/2012 and 05/01/2017
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 3702.11, 3702.13
Rule Amplifies: 3702.11, 3702.12, 3702.13, 3702.14, 3702.141, 3702.15, 3702.16, 3702.18, 3702.19, 3702.20
Prior Effective Dates: 3/1/1997, 3/24/03