The radiation safety officer for industrial radiography shall ensure that radiation safety activities are being performed in accordance with approved procedures and regulatory requirements in the daily operation of the licensee's program.
(A) The minimum qualifications, training, and experience for radiation safety officers for industrial radiography are as follows:
(2) Two thousand hours of hands-on experience as a qualified radiographer in industrial radiographic operations; and
(3) Formal training in the establishment and maintenance of a radiation protection program.
(B) The director will consider alternatives to paragraph (A)(2) of this rule when the radiation safety officer for industrial radiography has appropriate training and/or experience in the field of ionizing radiation, and in addition, has adequate formal training with respect to the establishment and maintenance of a radiation safety protection program.
(C) The specific duties and authorities of the radiation safety officer for industrial radiography include, but are not limited to:
(1) Establishing and overseeing all operating, emergency, and ALARA procedures as required by Chapter 3701:1-38 of the Administrative Code, and reviewing them regularly to ensure that the procedures in use conform to current regulatory requirements, and to the license conditions.
(2) Overseeing and approving all phases of the training program for radiographic personnel, ensuring that appropriate and effective radiation protection practices are taught;
(3) Ensuring that required radiation surveys and leak tests are performed and documented in accordance with the regulations, including any corrective measures when levels of radiation exceed established limits;
(4) Ensuring that personnel monitoring devices are calibrated and used properly by occupationally-exposed personnel, that records are kept of the monitoring results, and that timely notifications are made as required by paragraph (C) of rule 3701:1-38-21 of the Administrative Code; and
(5) Ensuring that operations are conducted safely and to assume control for instituting corrective actions including stopping of operations when necessary.
Prior History: (Five Year Review (FYR) Dates:
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 3748.04
Rule Amplifies: 3748.06, 3748.07
Prior Effective Dates: 10/20/2002, 1/1/12)