(A) Indoor areas - surface characteristics
(1) Except as specified in paragraph (A)(2) of this rule, materials for indoor floor, wall, and ceiling surfaces under conditions of normal use shall be:
(a) Smooth, durable, and easily cleanable for areas where food service operation or retail food establishment activities are conducted;
(b) Closely woven and easily cleanable carpet for carpeted areas; and
(c) Nonabsorbent for areas subject to moisture such as food preparation areas, walk-in refrigerators, warewashing areas, toilet rooms, mobile food service operation or mobile retail food establishment servicing areas, and areas subject to flushing or spray cleaning methods.
(2) In a temporary food service operation or temporary retail food establishment:
(a) A floor if graded to drain, may be concrete, machine-laid asphalt; or dirt or gravel if it is covered with mats, removable platforms, duckboards, or other approved materials that are effectively treated to control dust and mud; and
(b) Walls and ceilings may be constructed of a material that protects the interior from the weather and windblown dust and debris.
(B) Outdoor areas - surface characteristics
(1) The outdoor walking and driving areas shall be surfaced with concrete, asphalt, or gravel or other materials that have been effectively treated to minimize dust, facilitate maintenance, and prevent muddy conditions.
(2) Exterior surfaces of buildings and mobile food service operations or mobile retail food establishments shall be of weather-resistant materials.
(3) Outdoor storage areas for refuse, recyclables, or returnables shall be of materials specified under paragraphs (B) and (C) of rule 3717-1-05.4 of the Administrative Code.
Prior History: (Five Year Review (FYR) Dates:
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 3717.05
Rule Amplifies: 3717.05
Prior Effective Dates: 3/1/2001, 3/1/05, 3/1/09)