(A) Handwashing sinks - minimum number.
Handwashing sinks shall be provided as specified under paragraph (G) of 3717-1- 05.1 of the Administrative Code.
(B) Handwashing cleanser - availability.
Each handwashing sink or group of two adjacent handwashing sinks shall be provided with a supply of hand cleaning liquid, powder, or bar soap.
(C) Handwashing sinks - hand drying provision.
Each handwashing sink or group of adjacent handwashing sinks shall be provided with:
(1) Individual, disposable towels;
(2) A continuous towel system that supplies the user with a clean towel;
(3) A heated-air hand drying device; or
(4) A hand drying device that employs an air-knife system that delivers high velocity, pressurized air at ambient temperatures.
(D) Handwashing aids and devices - use restrictions.
A sink used for food preparation or utensil washing, or a service sink or curbed cleaning facility used for the disposal of mop water or similar wastes, may not be provided with the handwashing aids and devices required for a handwashing sink as specified under paragraphs (B) and (C) of this rule and paragraph (G)(3) of rule 3717-1-05.4 of the Administrative Code.
(E) Handwashing signage.
A sign or poster that notifies food employees to wash their hands shall be provided at all handwashing sinks used by food employees and shall be clearly visible to food employees.
(F) Disposable towels - waste receptacle.
A handwashing sink or group of adjacent handwashing sinks that is provided with disposable towels shall be provided with a waste receptacle as specified under paragraph (G)(3) of rule 3717-1-05.4 of the Administrative Code.
(G) Toilets and urinals - minimum number.
Toilets and urinals shall be provided as specified under paragraph (H) of rule 3717-1-05.1 of the Administrative Code.
(H) Toilet tissue - availability.
A supply of toilet tissue shall be available at each toilet.
(I) Lighting - intensity.
The light intensity shall be:
(1) At least ten foot candles (one hundred eight lux) at a distance of thirty inches (seventy-five centimeters) above the floor, in walk-in refrigeration units and dry food storage areas and in other areas and rooms during periods of cleaning;
(2) At least twenty foot candles (two hundred fifteen lux):
(a) At a surface where food is provided for consumer self-service such as buffets and salad bars or where fresh produce or packaged foods are sold or offered for consumption;
(b) Inside equipment such as reach-in and under-counter refrigerators; and
(c) At a distance of thirty inches (seventy-five centimeters) above the floor in toilet rooms, in areas used for handwashing, warewashing, and equipment and utensil storage; and
(3) At least fifty foot candles (five hundred forty lux) at a surface where a food employee is working with food or working with utensils or equipment such as knives, slicers, grinders, or saws where employee safety is a factor.
(J) Ventilation - mechanical.
If necessary to keep rooms free of excessive heat, steam, condensation, vapors, obnoxious odors, smoke, and fumes, mechanical ventilation of sufficient capacity shall be provided.
(K) Dressing areas and lockers - designation.
(1) Dressing rooms or dressing areas shall be designated if employees routinely change their clothes in the food service operation or retail food establishment.
(2) Lockers or other suitable facilities shall be provided for the orderly storage of employees' clothing and other possessions.
(L) Service sinks - availability.
A service sink or curbed cleaning facility shall be provided as specified under paragraph (I) of rule 3717-1-05.1 of the Administrative Code.
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 11/13/2018 and 01/28/2024
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 3717.04 ; 3717.05
Rule Amplifies: 3717.04 ; 3717.05
Prior Effective Dates: 03/01/2001, 03/01/2009, 01/01/2013