(A) Effective January 1, 2009, each manufacturer of any AIM coatings subject to this rule shall display the following information on the coating container (or label) in which the coating is sold or distributed:
(1) Date code: The date the coating was manufactured, or a date code representing the date, shall be indicated on the label, lid, or bottom of the container. If the manufacturer uses a date code for any coating, the manufacturer shall file an explanation of each code with the director.
(2) Thinning recommendations: A statement of the manufacturer's recommendation regarding thinning of the coating shall be indicated on the label or lid of the container. This requirement does not apply to the thinning of architectural coatings with water. If thinning of the coating prior to use is not necessary, the recommendation shall specify that the coating is to be applied without thinning.
(3) VOC content: Each container of any coating subject to this rule shall display either the maximum or the actual VOC content of the coating, as supplied, including the maximum thinning as recommended by the manufacturer. VOC content shall be displayed in grams of VOC per liter of coating. VOC content displayed shall be calculated using product formulation data, or shall be determined using the test methods in paragraph (A)(2) of rule 3745-113-06 of the Administrative Code. The equations in paragraph (A)(1) of rule 3745-113-06 of the Administrative Code shall be used to calculate VOC content.
(4) Industrial maintenance coatings: The label or the lid of the container in which the coating is sold or distributed shall display one or more of the following descriptions:
(a) "For industrial use only."
(b) "For professional use only."
(c) "Not for residential use" or "Not intended for residential use."
(5) Clear brushing lacquers: The labels of all clear brushing lacquers shall prominently display the statements "For brush application only," and "This product must not be thinned or sprayed."
(6) Rust preventive coatings: The labels of all rust preventive coatings shall prominently display the statement "For metal substrates only."
(7) Specialty primers, sealers, and undercoaters: The labels of all specialty primers, sealers, and undercoaters shall prominently display one or more of the following:
(a) For blocking stains.
(b) For fire-damaged substrates.
(c) For smoke-damaged substrates.
(d) For water-damaged substrates.
(e) For excessively chalky substrates.
(f) To seal in efflorescence.
(8) Quick dry enamels: The labels of all quick dry enamels shall prominently display the words "Quick Dry" and the dry hard time.
(9) Non-flat -high-gloss coatings: The labels of all non-flat -high-gloss coatings shall prominently display the words "High Gloss."
(10) Faux finishing coatings: The labels of all clear topcoat faux finishing coatings shall prominently display the statement "This product can only be sold or used as part of a faux finishing coating system."
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 08/01/2013 and 10/18/2018
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 3704.03(E)
Rule Amplifies: 3704.03(A) , 3704.03(E)
Prior Effective Dates: 9/21/07