[For dates of non-regulatory government publications, publications of recognized organizations and associations, federal rules, and federal statutory provisions referenced in this rule, see the "Incorporation by Reference" section at the end of rule 3745-14-01 of the Administrative Code.]
(A) The requirements of this rule shall apply only to following types of portland cement kilns with process rates of at least that indicated below:
(1) For long dry kilns, twelve tons per hour;
(2) For long wet kilns, ten tons per hour;
(3) For preheater kilns, sixteen tons per hour; and
(4) For precalciner and preheater/precalciner kilns, twenty-two tons per hour.
(B) After April 30, 2004, an owner or operator of any portland cement kiln subject to this rule shall not operate the kiln during May first through September thirtieth unless the kiln has installed and operates during May first through September thirtieth with low-NOx burners, mid-kiln system firing, or alternative control techniques, subject to approval by the administrator, that achieve at least the same emissions decreases as low-NOx burners or mid-kiln system firing.
(C) Reporting, monitoring and record keeping requirements.
(1) Any owner or operator subject to the requirements of paragraph (B) of this rule shall comply with the following requirements:
(a) By May 1, 2004, submit to the director and administrator the identification number and type of each unit subject to the rule, the name and address of the plant where the unit is located, and the name and telephone number of the person responsible for demonstrating the compliance of the unit with this rule; and
(b) Submit a report documenting for each unit the total NOx emissions from May first through September thirtieth of each year to the director and administrator by October thirty-first of each year, beginning in 2004.
(2) Any owner or operator of a unit subject to paragraph (B) of this rule shall complete an initial performance test and subsequent annual testing consistent with the requirements of Methods 1, 2, 3 and 4 of 40 CFR Part 60, Appendix A and Method 7, 7A, 7C, 7D, or 7E of 40 CFR Part 60.
(3) Any owner or operator of a unit subject to paragraph (B) of this rule shall produce and maintain records which shall include, but are not limited to:
(a) The emissions, in pounds of NOx per ton of clinker produced from each affected cement kiln;
(b) The date, time and duration of any startup, shutdown or malfunction in the operation of any of the cement kilns or the emissions monitoring equipment;
(c) The results of any performance testing; and
(d) Daily cement kiln production records.
(4) All records required to be produced or maintained shall be retained on site for a minimum of two years and be made available to the director or administrator upon request.
(D) The requirements of this rule shall not apply to the following periods of operation:
(1) Start-up and shutdown periods and periods of malfunction, not to exceed thirty-six consecutive hours; and
(2) Regularly scheduled maintenance activities.
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates:
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 3704.03(E)
Rule Amplifies: 3704.03(A) , 3704.03(D) , 3704.03(E)
Prior Effective Dates: 7/18/2002, 7/19/2008