[Comment: For dates of non-regulatory government publications, publications of recognized organizations and associations, federal rules, and federal statutory provisions referenced in this rule, see paragraph (C) of rule 3745-20-01 of the Administrative Code titled"Referenced materials."]
(A) The owner or operator who uses air cleaning, as specified in this chapter of the Administrative Code shall:
(1) Use fabric filter collection devices, except as noted in paragraph (B) of this rule, as follows:
(a) Ensure that the airflow permeability, as determined by ASTM D737-75, does not exceed thirty cubic feet per minute per square foot for woven fabrics or thirty-five cubic feet per minute per square foot for felted fabrics, except that forty cubic feet per minute per square foot for woven and forty-five cubic feet per minute per square foot for felted fabrics is allowed for filtering air from asbestos ore dryers; and
(b) Ensure that felted fabric weighs at least fourteen ounces per square yard and is at least one-sixteenth inch thick throughout; and
(c) Avoid the use of synthetic fabrics that contain fill yarn other than that which is spun.
(2) Properly install, use, operate, and maintain all air-cleaning equipment authorized by this rule. Bypass devices may be used only during upset or emergency conditions and then only for so long as it takes to shut down the operation generating the particulate asbestos material.
(3) For fabric filter collection devices installed after January 10, 1989, provide for easy inspection for faulty bags.
(B) There are the following exceptions to paragraph (A)(1) of this rule:
(1) If the use of fabric creates a fire or explosion hazard, or if the director determines that a fabric filter is not feasible, the director may authorize as a substitute the use of wet collectors designed to operate with a unit contacting energy of at least forty inches water gauge pressure.
(2) Use a HEPA filter that is manufacturer certified to be at least 99.97 per cent efficient for 0.3 micron particles.
(3) The director may authorize the use of filtering equipment other than described in paragraphs (A)(1), (B)(1) and (B)(2) of this rule if the owner or operator demonstrates to the director's satisfaction that it is equivalent to the described equipment in filtering particulate asbestos material.
Cite as Ohio Admin. Code 3745-20-12
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 11/30/2011 and 11/30/2016
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 3704.03(E)
Rule Amplifies: 3704.03(A), 3704.03(E)
Prior Effective Dates: 11/18/02, 2/2/07