(1) Facility personnel must successfully complete a program of classroom instruction or on-the-job training that teaches them to perform their duties in a way that ensures the facility's compliance with the requirements of Chapters 3745-65 to 3745-69 and 3745-256 of the Administrative Code. The owner or operator must ensure that this program includes all the elements described in the document required under paragraph (D)(3) of this rule.
(2) This program must be directed by a person trained in hazardous waste management procedures, and must include instruction which teaches facility personnel hazardous waste management procedures, including contingency plan implementation, relevant to the positions in which they are employed.
(3) At a minimum, the training program must be designed to ensure that facility personnel are able to respond effectively to emergencies by familiarizing them with emergency procedures, emergency equipment, and emergency systems, including, where applicable;
(a) Procedures for using, inspecting, repairing, and replacing facility emergency and monitoring equipment;
(b) Key parameters for automatic waste feed cut-off systems;
(c) Communications or alarm systems;
(d) Response to fires or explosions;
(e) Response to ground water contamination incidents; and
(f) Shutdown of operations.
(4) For facility employees that receive emergency response training pursuant to "Occupational Safety and Health Administration" (OSHA) regulations 29 CFR 1910.120(p)(8) and 29 CFR 1910.120(q) the facility is not required to provide separate emergency response training pursuant to this rule, provided that the overall facility training meets all the requirements of this rule.
(B) Facility personnel must successfully complete the program required in paragraph (A) of this rule within six months after January 7, 1983 or six months after the date of their employment or assignment to a facility, or to a new position at a facility, whichever is later. Employees hired after January 7, 1983 must not work in unsupervised positions until they have completed the training requirements of paragraph (A) of this rule.
(C) Facility personnel must take part in an annual review of the initial training required in paragraph (A) of this rule during each period from January first to December thirty-first. The review must occur within fifteen months after the previous review.
(D) The owner or operator must maintain the following documents and records at the facility:
(1) The job title for each position at the facility related to hazardous waste management, and the name of the employee filling each job;
(2) A written job description for each position listed under paragraph (D)(1) of this rule. This description may be consistent in its degree of specificity with descriptions for other similar positions in the same company location or bargaining unit, but must include the requisite skill, education, or other qualifications, and duties of facility personnel assigned to each position;
(3) A written description of the type and amount of both introductory and continuing training that will be given to each person filling a position listed under paragraph (D)(1) of this rule; and
(4) Records that document that the training or job experience required under paragraphs (A), (B), and (C) of this rule has been given to, and completed by, facility personnel.
(E) Training records on current personnel must be kept until closure of the facility. Training records on former employees must be kept for at least three years from the date the employee last worked at the facility. Personnel training records may accompany personnel transferred within the same company.
[Comment: For dates of non-regulatory government publications, publications of recognized organizations and associations, federal rules, and federal statutory provisions referenced in this rule, see rule 3745-50-11 of the Administrative Code titled "Incorporated by reference."]
Cite as Ohio Admin. Code 3745-65-16
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 11/30/2011 and 08/25/2016
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 3734.12
Rule Amplifies: 3734.12
Prior Effective Dates: 04/15/1981, 01/07/1983, 12/07/2000, 12/07/2004, 09/05/2010