(A) No person shall begin construction or installation of a public water system, or make a substantial change in a public water system, until plans therefor have been approved by the director of environmental protection unless exempted pursuant to paragraph (D) of this rule. An application for approval of plans for such construction, installation, or substantial change in a public water system, as required by section 6109.07 of the Revised Code, shall be submitted to the district office and shall consist of all of the following:
(1) Three copies of plan drawings as specified by rule 3745-91-03 of the Administrative Code (two copies if the facility will be owned by a public entity);
(2) One copy of specifications as specified by rule 3745-91-04 of the Administrative Code;
(3) One copy of a data sheet as specified by rule 3745-91-05 of the Administrative Code;
(4) One copy of supporting information as specified by rule 3745-91-06 of the Administrative Code; and
(5) A submittal letter as specified by rule 3745-91-07 of the Administrative Code.
(B) A person applying for a plan approval for a public water system under section 6109.07 of the Revised Code shall pay a fee pursuant to section 3745.11 of the Revised Code. The fee shall be paid at the time the application is submitted by tendering a check payable to the treasurer of the state of Ohio.
(C) General plans containing preliminary information concerning proposed source, treatment, and distribution may be submitted for approval or for comment. General plans submitted for conditional approval shall be submitted in three copies. The director may require submittal of general plans for conditional approval prior to submittal of an application under this rule for projects with a high degree of complexity, non-standard technology, unusual features, phased implementation, compliance schedules or deviations from standards and guidelines used by the agency.
(D) Public water systems are exempted from obtaining prior plan approval for replacement waterlines provided all of the following conditions are met:
(1) The increase in main size for pipe less than four inches in diameter is not greater than two inches in diameter and the increase in main size for pipe four inches in diameter or greater is not greater than four inches in diameter;
(2) The replacement of the waterline complies with the requirements of sections 8.0 through 8.12 of "The Great Lakes-Upper Mississippi River Board of State and Provincial Public Health and Environmental Managers' Recommended Standards for Water Works" (2007), except if the sanitary isolation requirements of section 8.8 cannot be met, the replacement results in a greater sanitary isolation radius than was previously in place;
(3) The public water system has appropriately investigated to ensure pipe replacement does not take place in an area of known water or soil contamination;
(4) The public water system submits an annual project summary to the district office on or before January fifteenth that includes each exempted replacement waterline project completed that year.
(a) Each project summary shall identify the following items:
(i) On an updated distribution map, the locations of the exempted replacement waterlines;
(ii) Type and size of pipe replaced;
(iii) Type and size of pipe installed;
(iv) Length of pipe installed; and
(v) Any unusual conditions encountered during waterline replacement.
(b) The project summary must be signed by a professional engineer licensed by the state of Ohio who certifies that the exempted waterline project or projects described in the project summary met the requirements of paragraph (D) of this rule.
(E) Public water systems shall remove equipment that is not required to meet safe drinking water regulations when it is no longer intended for use on a temporary, seasonal or permanent basis, no longer in working order or poses a potential threat to water quality. Plan approval prior to the removal of this equipment is required unless written agreement from the director to the public water system indicates plan approval is not required.
[This rule references the "Recommended Standards for Water Works" 2007 edition. Copies are available from "Health Education Services, P.O. Box 7126, Albany, NY 1224, (518) 439-7286, www.hes.org" or "Ohio EPA, Lazarus Government Center, 50 West Town Street, Suite 700, Columbus, OH 43215, (614) 644-2752". A copy may also be obtained online at http://10statestandards.com [File Link Not Available] or www.epa.ohio.gov/ddagw.]
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 09/28/2011 and 03/09/2017
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 6109.04
Rule Amplifies: 6109.04, 6109.07
Prior Effective Dates: 11/26/80, 12/01/93, 12/01/99, 01/01/02, 12/31/06, 05/20/10