(A) The team wager pool requires selection of a designated "team" in each of a designated number of contests. Winning bets shall be determined based upon the official order of finish in each contest and the standing of each team with respect to the official order of finish. For purposes of the team wager, finishers from the same team shall be bracketed together to determine a single betting interest, as set forth in paragraph (C) of this rule.
(B) Prior to the start of the contests that comprise the team wager, all participants in each of the contests shall be divided by the association between or among each of the team wager teams, and the roster of each team made public, as well as the number of points to be awarded to the team whose member is the first finisher in a designated contest, the second finisher, and so forth until no more points are awarded in that contest.
(C) At the conclusion of all contests that comprise the team wager, the number of points for each team shall be compiled, and the team with the most points shall be declared the "winning team."
(D) The team wager pool shall be apportioned under either of the following methods:
(1) Winning margins team wager:
(a) In the "winning margins team wager", the total number of points awarded in the team wager shall be divided by the association into a series of brackets comprised of a series of point ranges ("winning margin") by which one team (team A) might defeat the other team (team B); a series of point ranges by which team B might defeat team A; and a tie between the teams. Each bracket shall constitute a separate betting interest in the winning margins team wager.
(b) The net winning margins team wager pool shall be distributed as a single price pool to those who selected the correct bracket. If there are no wagers selecting the correct bracket, the entire pool shall be refunded.
(c) Example: points are assigned to each of the first four finishers in each contest [four points for the first finisher down to one point for the fourth finisher, for a total of ten points awarded in each contest, based upon the official order of finish, with a total of six contests in the team wager, resulting in a total of sixty points in all. The brackets could be designated as: team A's winning margin is one to ten points; eleven to twenty points; twenty-one to thirty points; thirty-one to forty points; forty-one to fifty points; fifty-one to sixty points. Team B's winning margin is one to ten points; eleven to twenty points; twenty-one to thirty points; thirty-one to forty points; forty-one to fifty points; fifty-one to sixty points. The two teams tie, and the margin is zero points. In this example, there are thirteen separate betting interests. If, in this example, finishers representing team A come in first and third in one contest, and finishers representing team B come in second and fourth in that contest, team A would have four plus two equals six points and team B would have three plus one equals four points. The current winning margin (after this first contest) would be team A by two points.)
(2) Team double wager:
(a) In the "team double wager", the commission shall approve two different methods of determining the winning tickets qualifying for a share of the net pool.
(b) The commission shall also approve the manner of apportioning the net team double wager pool, and the conditions under which the pool shall be refunded or otherwise apportioned if there are no winning wagers.
(c) Example: a "daily-double"-style pool consisting of having to correctly select the bracket of the winning margin, as above, as well as a bracket based upon and including the total points achieved by the winning team.
(1) The brackets may be comprised of the margins by which the winning team defeats the team that finishes second; the total number of points achieved by the winning team; or other method of determining the brackets, as approved by the commission.
(2) Such factors as the number of teams in the team wager; the method by which teams are designated; the number of points to be awarded in each contest; the number of contests comprising the team wager; and the method by which the "brackets" constituting each betting interest in the team wager are designated, shall all be subject to approval of the commission.
(F) Coupled entries; fields. With approval of the commission, coupled entries may be permitted in contests comprising the team wager, but may only participate as part of the same team. With approval of the commission, fields may be permitted in contests comprising the team wager, but may only participate as part of the same team.
(G) Dead heat. If there is a dead heat including any finisher(s) for which points are awarded in the team wager, the total amount of points in the dead heat positions shall be combined and divided equally amongst the betting interests that have finished in the dead heat.
(1) Should an entry in any contest of the team wager be scratched or excused from the contest, all money wagered on combinations including this entry shall remain in the team wager pool and the ticket holder may still collect the monetary value of any distribution evidenced by the ticket containing the scratched betting interest.
(2) If, due to a scratch or excused entry, the number of entries assigned to a team in a contest of the team wager is reduced to fewer than the number of positions in the final order of finish for which the team is eligible to receive points, for purposes of the team wager pool such contest shall be declared "no contest" and wagers involving any betting interests that are no longer capable of being achieved shall be refunded.
Cite as Ohio Admin. Code 3769-13-38
Prior History: (Effective:
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 09/11/2013
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 3769.03
Rule Amplifies: 3769.03)