(A) The hearing examiner shall conduct the hearing in accordance with the requirements of Chapter 119. of the Revised Code and may:
(1) Rule on objections made by the parties;
(2) Determine the admissibility of the evidence presented;
(3) Rule on motions made by the parties;
(4) Permit opening statements and closing arguments;
(5) Examine witnesses or ask questions of the parties; and
(6) Make any other necessary determinations or rulings.
(B) Parties and the commission shall have the right to examine and cross-examine witnesses. All witnesses shall be sworn or shall affirm the truthfulness of their testimony.