(A) Amateur mixed martial arts events will follow all existing rules in agency 3773 of the Administrative Code.
(B) Any contestant competing as an amateur may not currently or have ever been a professional fighter with a winning record in any unarmed combat sports; this includes but is not limited to mixed martial arts, boxing, karate or any other form of unarmed combat .sports. A professional fighter in any of the listed sports that has a losing record will be evaluated on an individual basis determined by the number of bouts and the type of losses incurred. Any contestant found in violation of this will be suspended for a period of not less than one year nor more than two years.
(C) All weigh-ins must be scheduled no earlier than ten a.m. the day of the event, unless authorized by the commission. No weight allowances for amateurs, they must compete within the weight class.
(D) Rule differences from professional mixed martial art rules:
(1) Rounds: there shall be three rounds scheduled for three minutes each with a ninety second rest period between rounds with a fifteen second warning signal prior to the start of the next round.
(2) Gloves: minimum size of four ounces and maximum of eight ounces.
(3) Neoprene, ankle wraps or elbow pads are optional. Contestants may tape their ankles.
(4) No elbow strikes anytime.
(5) No knees to the head at anytime.
(6) No kicks of any type to the head.
(7) A contestant may only strike their opponent to the head with their fists.
(8) No twisting leg submissions.
(E) A mixed martial arts fighter will be required to have a minimum of five recorded amateur bouts with a winning record prior to being permitted to compete as a professional mixed martial arts fighter. They may appeal to the executive director or Ohio athletic commission to have this waived.
(F) Masters division: applies to all amateur mixed martial arts contestants ages thirty-five and over. They must compete in this division until they have competed in a minimum of three events. After three events and a winning record they may apply to the executive director or commission to be able to compete in all levels of amateur or professional competition.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 06/18/2012 and 03/14/2018
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 3773.34
Rule Amplifies: 3773.34
Prior Effective Dates: 6/16/06, 3/20/07, 11/7/07, 4/18/09, 7/1/10, 1/1/12