Chapter 4101:14-1 General Provisions
(A) The ski tramway board adopts the safety requirements for passenger tramways as stated in "American National Standard Institute ANSI B 77.1 -2006," "American National Standards for Passenger Ropeways - Aerial Tramways, Aerial Lifts, Surface Lifts, Tows and Conveyors - Safety Requirements," hereinafter referred to as "ANSI B 77.1 -2006," and are incorporated as if set out at length herein including attendant "appendices," "indexes," and "tables."
(B) Any questions pertaining to the code, its rules, regulations and safety requirements should be addressed to: "Ski Tramway Board Division of Industrial Compliance P.O. Box 4009 Reynoldsburg, Ohio 43068-9009"
All new installations and modifications of existing passenger tramways shall meet the safety requirements for passenger tramways stated in "ANSI B 77.1 -2006."
(1) A "new installation" is a passenger tramway, as that term is defined in division (F) of section 4169.01 of the Revised Code, which is or is to be installed at a ski area in this state subsequent to July 1, 1985.
(2) A "modification of an existing passenger tramway" is any change, alteration, addition, reinstallation or other modification to any passenger tramway, as that term is defined in division (F) of section 4169.01 of the Revised Code, other than ordinary repairs or replacements in equipment.
(B) Design and installations
(1) All new installations and modifications of existing passenger tramways and reinstallations of passenger tramways shall meet the design and safety requirements of "ANSI B 77.1 -2006". Construction and installation shall be accomplished in accordance with manufacturer's specifications; if specifications from a manufacturer are not provided, the standard practice in the industry shall govern construction and installation.
(2) The ski tramway board does not require inspection of passenger tramways during installation.
(C) Statement of compliance
A signed statement from the passenger tramway manufacturer that the installation was designed and built according to "ANSI B 77.1 -2006" requirements shall be sent to the board upon request. When an existing passenger tramway is reinstalled at a ski area in this state, the statement of compliance required by this paragraph shall be signed by the ski area operator. The statement shall identify the parties involved in the project including the manufacturer, design engineer, and contractor.
All new passenger tramway installations and modifications of existing passenger tramways shall be thoroughly inspected and tested before the system is put into operation for the public. Load test reports for aerial passenger tramways or chair lifts shall be retained by the ski area operator for review by the ski tramway board or its inspector. The inspection and test shall include those items outlined in "ANSI B 77.1 -2006."
(1) Before any passenger tramway may be operated for the public, the ski operator shall submit an "Application for Registration of Passenger Tramways" to the ski tramway board. The application shall be submitted on a prepared form provided by the board, and shall provide such technical information as the board may require.
(2) Upon receipt of the completed application and designated fees, the board shall issue a "Certificate of Registration." The "Certificate of Registration" shall be valid from the date of registration until the thirtieth day of September next ensuing.
(3) No passenger tramway shall operate for public use without a valid, current "Certificate of Registration."
(4) The ski area operator shall post, in a conspicuous place, the "Certificate of Registration" at all times when operating passenger tramways.
(1) Inspections required by this board shall concern the mechanical operation of all passenger tramways and their safety equipment.
(2) Pursuant to division (A) of section 4169.04 of the Revised Code, the board requires that the ski area operator submit a "Schedule of Tramway Inspection." The schedule shall indicate the date the area will be ready for inspection by the state or the date the area's liability insurance underwriter will inspect. Any tramway inspection shall be before the first day of December or prior to the first date of commencement of operations, whichever occurs first. The schedule shall be on a prepared form provided by the board and submitted with the "Application for Registration of Passenger Tramways."
(3) When an inspection by an insurance company authorized to insure passenger tramways in this state is conducted, A copy of the inspection report shall be forwarded to the department of industrial compliance within one week of any such inspection.
(4) The inspection and testing requirements of "ANSI B 77.1 -2006," sections ; 3.3.4; 4.3.4; 5.3.4; 6.3.4; and 7.3.4; respectively, apply to operators subject to this chapter. Upon written request by the board, copies of the inspection reports shall be sent to the board by a ski area operator. If an operator fails to comply with a request of the board or reports are, in the opinion of the board, inadequate or indicate that further inspection is necessary, the board may request an inspection by the division of industrial compliance. A copy of this inspection report shall be filed with the board and a copy shall be forwarded to the ski area operator. A review of the findings of the inspection may be sent to the operator with a listing of any deficiencies and a date for completion. If any such deficiencies are not corrected within the period of time fixed by the board, an "Emergency Order" may be issued.
(5) A copy of the most recent wire rope inspection report as provided in "ANSI B 77.1 -2006," section A. 4.1.2 "inspection" shall be sent to the division of industrial compliance annually by the thirtieth day of September.
(6) A copy of the most recent grip and/or clip test report provided in "ANSI B 77.1 -2006," section 4.3. 4.3, shall be sent to the division of industrial compliance annually by the thirtieth day of September.
(C) Penalties for noncompliance:
(1) Failure to comply with an order issued by the board under division (E) of section 4169.06 of the Revised Code, may subject the operator to suspension of "Certificate of Registration" by the board.
(A) Mechanical operation:
All passenger tramways shall be operated within the design limits specified by the manufacturer, and the standards set forth in "ANSI B 77.1 -2006". No passenger tramway shall be in service unless all devices which affect the control of the passenger tramway itself are operational and in compliance with "ANSI B 77.1 -2006," including auxiliary drive systems.
The maintenance record requirements provided in "ANSI B 77.1 -2006," sections 3.3. 5.3, 4.3. 5.3, 5.3. 5.36.3. 5.3 ; and 7.3. 5.2 ; respectively, apply to all operators subject to these regulations. The inspector may, upon request by the board, review such records upon ten days notice during business hours (nine a.m. to five p.m. weekdays).
(A) Prior to the adoption, amendment or rescission of any rule, the ski tramway board shall give public notice thereof, as provided in section 119.03 of the Revised Code. Reasonable public notice shall be given in the register of Ohio at least thirty days prior to the date set for a hearing, in the form the agency determines. This notice shall include:
(1) A statement of the board's intention to consider adoption, amendment or rescission of a rule;
(2) A synopsis of the proposed rule, amendment or rescission, or general statement of the subject matter to which the proposed rule, amendment or rescission relates;
(3) A statement of the reason or purpose for adopting, amending or rescinding the rule; and
(4) The date, time and place of the hearing on the proposed action.
(B) The board shall furnish the public notice as required under section 119.03 of the Revised Code and as described in paragraph (A) of this rule to any person who requests a copy of such notice and who pays a reasonable fee, not to exceed the cost of copying and mailing.
(C) The board shall be authorized to give additional notice of such public hearing as the board deems necessary; however, the giving of such notice shall not be mandatory, and failure to give notice by any way other than in paragraph (A) of this rule shall not in any way invalidate any action which may be taken by the board.
(D) The board shall give notice of all public meetings as provided for in division (F) of section 121.22 of the Revised Code. The board shall file with the superintendent of the department of commerce, division of industrial compliance, the time and place of each regularly scheduled meeting, and the time, place, and purpose of each special meeting called by the board. Any person may obtain this information by written request to the "Ski Tramway Board, Division of Industrial Compliance, P. O. Box 4009, Reynoldsburg, Ohio 43068-9009," or by telephone at 614-644-2223.
Any person may, upon request and payment of a reasonable fee, be placed upon a general subscription mailing list to obtain advance notification of all meetings or upon a mailing list for advance notification of all public meetings. The board shall maintain a list of news media which have requested in writing to be given advance notice of all public meetings. This advance notice shall be given at least seven calendar days prior to the public meeting. If there is an emergency, the board shall give news media who have requested it, immediate notification. The secretary of the board shall maintain all lists of persons who have requested such notifications.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 12/23/2005 and 12/23/2010
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: RC Sec. 4169.02(B)
Rule Amplifies: 119.03 , 121.22(F) , 4169.02
Prior Effective Dates: 12/1/86, 10/5/98
(A) The operator shall report any known serious injuries or deaths that result from a reportable tramway incident. A "Serious Injury" is defined as one in which the passenger sustains injury which requires transport to a hospital or emergency care facility. A "Reportable Tramway Incident" is:
(1) A deropement regardless of whether or not the tramway is evacuated.
(2) Any evacuation other than by prime mover or auxiliary power, regardless of cause.
(3) Any fire involving tramway equipment or structures.
(4) Failure of any electrical or mechanical component which results in a loss of control of the tramway; any one of the following six conditions shall be considered a loss of control:
(a) Tramway will not slow down when given the command to do so.
(b) Tramway will not stop when given the command to do so.
(c) Tramway operates over speeds beyond control settings and/or maximum design speed.
(d) Tramway accelerates faster than normal design acceleration.
(e) Tramway self starts or self accelerates without the command to do so.
(f) Tramway reverses direction unintentionally and without the command to do so.
(5) Any wire rope damage as defined in "ANSI B 77.1 -2006," section Annex A, A. 4.1.
(6) Structural failure of any component that affects the integrity of the tramway including but not limited to:
(a) Terminal structure;
(b) Bull wheel;
(c) Brake system;
(d) Tower structure;
(e) Sheave, axle or sheave assembly;
(g) Grip; and/or;
(h) Conveyor; moving elements, drums, rollers and support assemblies.
(7) Any incident in which a passenger falls more than five feet from a chair.
(B) The report to the board shall be by telephone to the division of industrial compliance, 614-644-2223, within twenty-four hours of the reportable tramway incident or the next business day if the incident occurs on a weekend or holiday and within five days by written report. Both reports shall contain the following information:
(1) Name or identification of and/or registration number of the tramway involved.
(2) Date, time, and location of the incident.
(3) Name, address, and phone number of the injured passenger.
(4) Type of injury.
(5) Description of the tramway accident.
(6) Possible cause of the accident, if known.
(7) Description of any corrective action by the operator.
(8) The written report shall also contain the date, time, and person to whom the verbal report was given.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 12/23/2010
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4169.02(B)
Rule Amplifies: 4169.02(B) , 4169.08
Prior Effective Dates: 12/1/86, 10/5/98, 4/6/06