Fourteen and fifteen-year-old minors may be employed in any occupation except the excluded occupations listed below:
Fourteen and fifteen-year-old minors may not be employed in:
(A) Any manufacturing occupation.
(B) Any mining occupation.
(C) Processing occupations such as filleting of fish, dressing poultry, cracking nuts, or laundering as performed by commercial laundries and dry cleaning (except in a retail, food service, or gasoline service establishment in those specific occupations expressly permitted there in accordance with the foregoing list).
(D) Occupations requiring the performance of any duties in workrooms or workplaces where goods are manufactured, mined, or otherwise processed.
(E) Public messenger service.
(F) Operation or tending of hoisting apparatus or of any power-driven machinery (other than office machines and machines in retail, food service and gasoline service establishments which are not prohibited by other rules).
(G) Any occupation found and declared to be hazardous.
(H) Occupations in connection with:
(1) Transportation of persons or property by rail, highway, air, on water, pipeline or other means.
(2) Warehousing and storage.
(3) Communications and public utilities.
(4) Construction (including repair).
Except office or sales work in connection with paragraphs (H)(1), (2), (3), and (4) when not performed on transportation media or at the actual construction site.
(I) Any of the following occupations in a retail food service, or gasoline service establishment:
(1) Work performed in or about boiler or engine rooms.
(2) Work in connection with maintenance or repair of the establishment, machines or equipment.
(3) Outside window washing that involves working from window sills, and all work requiring the use of ladders, scaffolds or their substitutes.
(4) Cooking (except at soda fountains, lunch counters, snack bars, or cafeteria serving counters) and baking.
(5) Occupations which involve operating, setting up, adjusting, cleaning, oiling, or repairing power-driven food slicers and grinders, food choppers and cutters and bakery-type mixers.
(6) Work in freezers and meat coolers and all work in preparation of meats for sale (except wrapping, sealing, labeling, weighing, pricing and stocking when performed in other areas).
(7) Loading and unloading goods to and from trucks, railroad cars or conveyors.
(8) All occupations in warehouses except office and clerical work.
(9) Work in connection with cars and trucks involving the use of pits, racks or lifting apparatus or involving the inflation of any tire mounted on a rim equipped with a removable retaining ring.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 11/04/2003 and 11/04/2008
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4109.05
Rule Amplifies: 4111.05
Prior Effective Dates: 4/17/1979