(A) The following occupations in or about slaughtering and meat-packing establishments, rendering plants, or wholesale, retail or service establishments are prohibited for minors under eighteen years of age unless exempt below.
(1) All occupations on the killing floor, in curing cellars, and in hide cellars, except the work of messengers, runners, hand-truckers, and similar occupations which require entering such workrooms or workplaces infrequently and for short periods of time.
(2) All occupations involved in the recovery of lard and oils, except packaging and shipping of such products and the operations of lard-roll machines.
(3) All occupations involved in tankage or rendering of dead animals, animal offal, animal fats, scrap meats, blood, and bones into stock feeds, tallow, inedible greases, fertilizer ingredients, and similar products.
(4) All occupations involved in the operation or feeding of the following power-driven meat-processing machines, including the occupation of setting-up, adjusting, repairing, oiling, or cleaning such machines: meat patty forming machines, meat and bone cutting saws, knives, head splitters and guillotine cutters; snout pullers and jaw pullers, skinning machines; horizontal rotary washing machines; casing-cleaning machines such as crushing, stripping, and finishing machines; grinding, mixing, chopping, and hashing machines; and presses.
(5) All boning occupations.
(6) All occupations that involve the pushing or dropping of any suspended carcass, half carcass, or quarter carcass.
(7) All occupations involving hand-lifting or hand-carrying any carcass or half carcass of beef, pork, or horse, or any quarter carcass of beef or horse.
(1) The term "slaughtering and meat-packing establishments" shall mean places in or about which cattle, calves, hogs, sheep, lambs, goats, or horses are killed, butchered, or processed. The term shall also include establishments which manufacture or process meat products or sausage casings from such animals.
(2) The term "rendering plants" shall mean establishments engaged in the conversion of dead animals, animal offal, animal fats, scrap meat, blood, and bones into stock feeds, tallow, inedible greases, fertilizer ingredients, and similar products.
(3) The term "killing floor" shall include that workroom or workplace where cattle, calves, hogs, sheep, lambs, goats, or horses are immobilized, shackled, or killed, and the carcasses are dressed prior to chilling.
(4) The term "curing cellar" shall include that workroom or workplace which is primarily devoted to the preservation and flavoring of meat by curing materials. It does not include that workroom or workplace where meats are smoked.
(5) The term "hide cellar" shall include that workroom or workplace where hides are graded, trimmed, salted, and otherwise cured.
(6) The term "boning occupations" shall mean the removal of bones from meat cuts. It shall not include work that involves cutting, scraping, or trimming meat from cuts containing bones.
This rule shall not apply to the killing and processing of poultry, rabbits, or small game in areas physically separated from the "killing floor".
Cite as Ohio Admin. Code 4101:9-2-04