(A) The following occupations are prohibited for minors under eighteen years of age unless exempt below.
(1) Any work in any workroom in which:
(a) radium is stored or used in the manufacture of self-luminous compound;
(b) self-luminous compound is made, processed, or packaged;
(c) self-luminous compound is stored, used, or worked upon;
(d) incandescent mantles are made from fabric and solutions containing thorium salts, or are processed or packaged;
(e) other radioactive substances are present in the air in average concentrations exceeding ten per cent of the maximum permissible concentrations in the air recommended for occupational exposure by the "National Committee on Radiation Protection" as set forth in the forty-hour week column of table one of the "National Bureau of Standards Handbook No. 69" entitled "Maximum Permissible Body Burdens and Maximum Permissible Concentrations of Radionuclides in Air and in Water for Occupational Exposure," issued June 5, 1959.
(2) Any other work which involves exposure to ionizing radiations in excess of 0.5 rem per year.
As used in this section:
(1) The term "self-luminous compound" shall mean any mixture of phosphorescent material and radium, mesothorium, or other radioactive element.
(2) The term "workroom" shall include the entire area bounded by walls of solid material and extending from floor to ceiling.
(3) The term "ionizing radiations" shall mean alpha and beta particles, electrons, protons, neutrons, gamma, and x-ray and all other radiations which produce ionizations directly or indirectly but does not include electromagnetic radiations other than gamma and x-ray.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 11/04/2003 and 11/04/2008
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4109.05
Rule Amplifies: 4109.05
Prior Effective Dates: 4/17/1979