(A) Public meetings. All commission meetings are public meetings. However, executive sessions may be closed to the public provided that the adoption or passage of a resolution, rule, regulation or other formal action is not involved.
(B) Executive sessions. The commission may hold an executive session at a regular or special meeting for the following purposes:
(1) To confer with an attorney for the commission concerning disputes involving the commission which are the subject of pending or imminent litigation. Litigation will be considered imminent at the point at which litigation is actually contemplated.
(2) To consider information required to be kept confidential by federal or state law.
(3) To consider the appointment, employment, dismissal, discipline, promotion, demotion or compensation of a commission employee or official. Such session may be held to investigate charges or complaints against a commission employee or official provided, however, that such commission employee or official may request a public hearing. Furthermore, any final disposition of such matter shall be made in open meeting.
(4) To consider specialized details of security arrangements where disclosure of the matters discussed might reveal information that could be used for the purpose of committing or avoiding prosecution for a violation of the law.
(C) Commission committees. Committees created by the commission which act solely in an advisory capacity to the commission need not conduct meetings which are open to the public.
(D) Notice of meetings. The commission will provide notification of the time and place of all regularly scheduled meetings and the time, place, and purpose of all special meetings pursuant to the following provisions.
(1) Any persons may ascertain the time and place of all regularly scheduled and special meetings by:
(a) Writing to the " public affairs office of the Ohio Civil Rights Commission at 30 E. Broad Street, 5th Floor, Columbus, Ohio 43215"; or
(b) By calling the commission; or
(2) Any representative of the news media may obtain notice of all special meetings by requesting in writing that such notice be provided. Such notice will be given to only one representative of any particular publication or radio or television station. A request for such notification shall be addressed to the " public affairs office of the Ohio Civil Rights Commission at 30 E. Broad Street, 5th Floor, Columbus, Ohio 43215." The request shall provide the name, mailing address, a maximum of two telephone numbers and, if available, a facsimile transmission number and an e-mail address where the media representative can be reached. The commission shall maintain a list of all representatives of the news media who have requested notice of special meetings pursuant to this paragraph.
(3) In the event of a special meeting not of an emergency nature, the commission shall notify all media representatives on the list of such meeting by doing at least one of the following:
(a) Sending written notice, which must be mailed no later than four calendar days prior to the day of the special meeting.
(b) Notifying such representatives by telephone, facsimile transmission or e-mail no later than twenty-four hours prior to the special meeting.
(4) In the event of a special meeting of an emergency nature, the commission shall notify all media representatives on the list of such meeting by providing either the notice described in paragraph (D)(3)(b) of this rule, or notifying the clerk of the state house press room except that the notice need not be given twenty-four hours prior to the meeting but shall be given as soon as possible.
(E) Minutes of commission meetings. All minutes of regular or special meetings of the commission shall be prepared, maintained and made available for public inspection. Minutes of regular or special meetings and executive sessions need only reflect the general subject matter of discussions at such meetings. At the beginning of each commission meeting the executive director or the director's designee shall inform those present that the notice requirements set forth in this rule have been complied with and this shall be noted in the commission minutes.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 11/01/2012 and 10/21/2018
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4112.04
Rule Amplifies: 4112.04, 4112.05
Prior Effective Dates: 11/4/1971, 11/15/1977, 12/23/1979, 7/12/1989, 8/10/1997, 1/11/1998, 10/17/2002