(A) Reasonable standards for those attorneys, agents and representatives who practice before the bureau of workers' compensation and the industrial commission shall include:
(1) Such attorney, agent or representative shall make himself or herself competent to handle such matters by becoming familiar with the statutes, decisions of the courts, and rules of the bureau and industrial commission relating to workers' compensation.
(2) Shall make adequate preparation before filing an application or appearing at a hearing.
(3) Shall not neglect or procrastinate in regard to any matter in which he or she represents a party.
(4) Abide by the rules of the bureau and the commission in appearing for a party or in filing applications.
(5) In general conduct himself or herself in accordance with the Ohio Rules of Professional Conduct (effective February 1, 2007; as amended effective January 1, 2012).
(B) No person other than an attorney in good standing may render advice or services in the preparation or presentation of a claim for compensation and benefits arising under the workers' compensation laws of Ohio if a fee for such advice or services is to be received from or charged against the one having such claim.
Prior History: (Effective:
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 11/5/2018 and 02/01/2024
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4123.06
Rule Amplifies: 4123.06, 4123.96, 4123.88
Prior Effective Dates: 01/01/1978, 02/01/1999, 04/25/2014)