The purpose of these safety requirements is to provide reasonable safety for life, limb and health of employees. In cases of practical difficulty or unnecessary hardship, the Ohio bureau of workers' compensation may grant exceptions from the literal provisions of these requirements or permit the use of other devices or methods when, in the opinion of the industrial commission, equivalent protection is thereby secured.
These specific requirements supplement those of Chapter 4123:1-5 of the Administrative Code, "Specific Safety Requirements of the Ohio Bureau of Workers' Compensation Relating to All Workshops and Factories," and are minimum requirements of an employer for the protection of such employer's employees and no others and apply to steel making and the processes used in conjunction with steel manufacturing and fabricating but do not apply to the manufacture of foundry type operations.
Installations or constructions built or contracted for prior to the effective date of any requirement shall be deemed to comply with the provisions of these requirements if such installations or constructions comply either with the provisions of these requirements or with the provisions of any applicable specific requirement which was in effect at the time contracted for or built.
(1) "Approved" means accepted or certified by a nationally recognized testing agency, such as "Underwriters' Laboratories," "Factory Mutual Engineering Corporation," or a responsible governmental agency.
(2) "Bosh tank" means a tank used to collect circulating discharge water from
(3) "Danger zone" means the point of operation where a known critical hazard exists.
(4) "Guard" means the covering, fencing, railing, or enclosure which shields an object from accidental contact.
(5) "Guarded" means that the object is covered, fenced, railed, enclosed or otherwise shielded from accidental contact.
(6) "Mixer" means a vessel that contains a supply of molten pig iron available when needed for charging into open hearth furnaces and for holding successive casts or lots of iron from blast furnaces to reduce irregularities in the iron.
(7) "Operator" means any employee assigned or authorized to work at the specific equipment.
(8) "Shall" is to be construed as mandatory.
(9) "Substantial" means construction of such strength, of such materials, and of such workmanship that the object will withstand the wear, usage, or shock for which it is designed.
(10) "Standard guard railing" means a substantial barrier constructed in accordance with paragraph (E) of rule 4123:1-5-02 of the Administrative Code.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 07/28/2009 and 07/01/2014
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4121.12 , 4121.121 , 4121.13 , Const. Art. II, Sec. 35
Rule Amplifies: 4121.13
Prior Effective Dates: 4/1/64; 5/1/83; 12/1/04