(A) A claimant's travel expenses shall be paid, upon the filing of a proper request, under the following circumstances:
(1) When the claimant has been ordered or authorized to undergo a medical examination outside of the city or community limits where he resides. The claimant shall be reimbursed for travel only if the travel distance exceeds a mileage distance as periodically determined by the bureau. The minimum mileage distance for reimbursement shall be published periodically by the bureau.
(2) When specialized treatment necessary for the allowed industrial condition cannot be obtained within the city or community where the claimant resides, and the treatment has been pre-authorized and approved. The claimant shall be reimbursed for travel only if the travel distance exceeds a mileage distance as periodically determined by the bureau. The minimum mileage distance for reimbursement shall be published periodically by the bureau.
(3) When the claimant has been requested to undergo a medical examination by a physician of the employer's choice, travel expenses incurred as a result of the examination are to be paid by the employer immediately upon the receipt of the bill. Payment of the bill shall not require an order of the bureau or commission, unless there is a dispute. The employer shall provide the claimant with a proper form to be completed by the claimant for reimbursement of traveling expenses. The minimum mileage provision of paragraphs (A)(1) and (A)(2) of this rule shall not apply for reimbursement of examinations under this paragraph of the rule.
(4) In situations described in paragraphs (A)(1) and (A)(2) of this rule, the following provisions apply:
(a) If the claimant is traveling by automobile, the claimant shall be entitled to a reasonable payment, as established and periodically published by the bureau, on a per mile basis if the mileage exceeds the distance established as provided under paragraph (A) of this rule, portal to portal, using the most direct and practical route.
(b) If the claimant is traveling by airplane, railroad or bus, the claimant shall be entitled to the actual and necessary airplane, railroad or bus fare.
(c) The reasonable cost of necessary meals, based on distance traveled, will be refunded to the claimant. It shall be paid in accordance with a schedule adopted by the bureau and periodically revised.
(d) Necessary hotel bills will be paid at reasonable actual cost. Hotel accommodation must be pre-authorized.
(5) Taxicab fares will be refunded only when the claimant's physical condition requires such transportation for treatment or examination on account of an allowed injury or occupational disease. Taxicabs or other special transportation shall be pre-authorized.
(6) The payment rates for meals, lodging and travel shall be published periodically by the bureau.
(B) Actual payment or refund shall be made in accordance with requirements outlined in this rule.
(C) This rule applies to all claims for industrial injuries and/or occupational diseases, regardless of whether the employer is part of the state fund, is self-insuring, is non-complying, etc.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 11/17/2009 and 11/01/2014
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4121.12 , 4121.121 , 4121.30 , 4121.31 , 4121.44 , 4121.441 , 4123.05 , 4123.66
Rule Amplifies: 4121.121 , 4121.44 , 4121.441 , 4123.66
Prior Effective Dates: 2/12/97, 10/14/02