(A) Battery charging areas shall be designated for that purpose.
(B) Employees shall be instructed that:
(1) When charging batteries, acid shall be poured into water; water shall not be poured into acid;
(2) When charging batteries, make certain vent caps are functioning: vent caps shall be kept in place to avoid electrolyte spray, and covers shall be open to dissipate heat; and
(3) Smoking and open flames are prohibited.
(C) In designated battery charging and changing areas the employer shall:
(1) Provide personal protective equipment as required in rule 4123:1-5-21 of the Administrative Code;
(2) Provide fire protection;
(3) Provide protection to charging apparatus to prevent damage by trucks;
(4) Provide adequate ventilation for exhausting fumes;
(5) Provide racks, when needed for support, made of nonconductive materials with dielectric properties the equivalent of dry wood or made of other material coated or covered to achieve that objective;
(6) Provide material handling equipment, such as a conveyor, hoist, or similar equipment, for handling large batteries, such as those used in electrically powered industrial trucks;
(7) Provide a carboy tilter or siphon for handling electrolyte;
(8) Provide signs prohibiting open flames or smoking.