(A) Except as provided in paragraph (C) of this rule, proof of financial responsibility may be shown by any of the following:
(1) A policy of liability insurance, the declaration page of a policy of liability insurance, or a liability bond, if the policy or bond complies with section 4509.20 or sections 4509.49 to 4509.61 of the Revised Code;
(2) A financial responsibility identification card issued in compliance with rule 4501:1-2-02 of the Administrative Code;
(3) A certificate of proof of financial responsibility signed by an authorized insurance agent on a form prescribed by the registrar of motor vehicles for the filing of an accident report pursuant to section 4509.06 of the Revised Code. The form shall be filled out in its entirety and stamped with the business stamp of the agency, or accompanied by a letter verifying the authenticity of the signature.
(B) In all instances, proof of financial responsibility may be shown by:
(2) A certificate issued by the registrar of motor vehicles for the deposit of money or securities in compliance with section 4509.62 of the Revised Code and rule 4501:1-2-04 of the Administrative Code;
(4) An AAMVA uniform financial responsibility form, SR-22, as prescribed by the American association of motor vehicle administrators.
(C) Whenever a person is required by law to give and maintain proof of financial responsibility for a definite period of time as a condition for maintaining driving privileges, proof may not be given by any of the methods stated in paragraph (A) of this rule, but shall be given by one of the methods stated in paragraph (B) of this rule.
(D) In addition to the methods provided in paragraphs (A) and (B) of this rule, a motor carrier certified by the interstate commerce commission or by the public utilities commission may demonstrate proof of financial responsibility by providing a statement designating the motor carrier's operating authority and averring that the insurance coverage required by the certificating authority is in full force and effect.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 12/31/2009 and 12/31/2014
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: R.C. 4501.02 , R.C. 4509.101
Rule Amplifies: R.C. 4509.45
Prior Effective Dates: 4/20/95