(A) Each enterprise applying for adult remedial driving course approval shall submit to the department a proposed curriculum. Each enterprise shall only use an approved curriculum. The curriculum shall be evaluated using criteria approved by the director which includes the student curriculum, instructor training curriculum, organizational information, curriculum and instructor certification or renewal system, minimum hours of training, and topics to be provided during instruction. The approval criteria provided by the department are available on the driver training web page at http://www.drivertraining.ohio.gov/schools.htm.
(B) The adult remedial driving course curriculum shall include a minimum of eight hours of instruction. A minimum of twenty-five per cent of the curriculum shall be devoted to instruction on driver attitude and a minimum of twenty-five per cent of instruction time shall be devoted to the area of alcohol and drugs and the operation of motor vehicles.
(C) The adult remedial driving course curriculum shall, at a minimum, address the following subject matter topics:
(1) Driving involves risk that can be managed;
(2) Developing good visual habits;
(3) Communicating with others;
(4) Personal responsibility and mature attitude;
(5) Safe and courteous driving strategies and principles;
(6) Assessing speed and adjusting speed;
(7) Dynamics of a crash;
(8) Space management;
(9) Consequences of poor driving behavior;
(10) Handling driving emergencies;
(11) Safety restraint systems - safety belts, airbags, child passenger seats;
(12) Financial responsibility laws;
(13) Vehicle technology issues;
(14) Driver fitness;
(15) Alcohol, drugs and driving;
(16) Aggressive driving issues and road rage;
(17) Anatomical gifts and anatomical gift procedures; and
(18) References to Ohio specific laws.
(D) Any curriculum or delivery method shall be conducive to learning as determined by the department. For any curriculum delivered outside of the classroom the following requirements apply:
(1) The student shall be able to navigate logically and systematically through the course; and
(2) Technical support personnel shall be available and knowledgeable of course completion requirements and technical issues. Except for circumstances beyond control, a student shall have adequate access to telephonic technical assistance (help desk) throughout the course such that the flow of instructional information is not delayed. Upon request of the department, an enterprise shall provide time documentation to show that this requirement is being met.
(E) Each remedial driving course enterprise shall maintain records demonstrating that all instructors have been properly trained in use of the curriculum.
(F) The director may deny approval of any curriculum or delivery method that fails to meet the requirements of this chapter of the Administrative Code.
(G) If an enterprise is conducting a remedial driving enterprise course for juveniles, the enterprise is required to use the curriculum provided by the Department.
119.032 review dates:
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: R.C. 4501.02 , 4510.311 , 4510.037 , 4510.038 , 5502.011
Rule Amplifies: R.C. 4510.311 , 4510.037 , 4510.038 , 4510.02
Prior Effective Dates: 6-1-00, 5-18-06, 11-8-07