(A) Each driver training enterprise shall maintain an established place of business that is owned, leased or rented by that enterprise. A copy of the deed, lease, or rental agreement for the property used as the established place of business shall be kept on file with the enterprise records.
(1) Each driver training enterprise operating as a class "D" license school shall maintain at least one fixed geographical location at which a school is operated and at least one classroom where training is conducted. The enterprise shall also maintain at least one office in a fixed geographic location where records are kept.
(a) Any facility used for a class "D" driver training school shall be inspected and approved by the director prior to its use as a school.
(b) The use of a mobile or modular structure as a class "D" driver training school shall be prohibited unless the structure is installed on a permanent foundation.
(c) The place of business shall only be occupied by the driver training school during times of classroom instruction.
(2) Each driver training enterprise providing online driver education shall maintain at least one office at a fixed geographic location where records are kept.
(B) Neither a class "D" driver training school nor its office, nor the office of an enterprise offering only online driver education shall consist of a house, trailer, tent, temporary stand, post office box, rooming house or apartment. Neither a school, nor the office of an enterprise providing online driver education shall be located within a residence or a room in a hotel or motel. No driver training enterprise may share any office or any classroom with any other driver training enterprise unless the same person owns both enterprises.
(1) The office of a driver training enterprise shall have access to a computer, printer, e-mail and the internet. It shall have space adequate to maintain those records required to be kept. A driver training enterprise office shall have sufficient space to interview clients and to display the school license.
(2) The office of a class "D" driver training school shall:
(a) Have a permanent wall that sufficiently prevents distractions and noise in the classroom. If no permanent wall exists, the office shall remain closed during classroom instruction.
(b) Be located in the same county as, or in a county adjacent to, the school for which student records are being stored.
(3) A class "D" driver training school shall contain a classroom that:
(a) Will comfortably sit at least ten students and an instructor, and have sufficient space to contain tables and chairs or desk for all students;
(b) Is equipped with a variety of audio and/or visual training aids that support the course curriculum;
(c) Is reasonably free of visible and audible distractions and shall present an atmosphere adequate for learning;
(d) Has a clean and functional restroom that is available for student use within its facility;
(e) Conforms to all federal, state and local fire, building and safety regulations.
(4) The office of an enterprise providing online driver education shall:
(a) Have a person available for technical support during reasonable hours, which must be posted on the online driver education program website;
(b) Have an online instructor available for curriculum content support during reasonable hours, which must be posted on the online driver education program website.
(C) The driver training enterprise shall operate in compliance with all applicable local, state and federal laws.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 10/08/2014
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: R.C. 4508.02
Rule Amplifies: R.C. 4508.02, R.C. 4508.03
Prior Effective Dates: 1/7/67, 3/1/76, 12/1/80, 2/29/88, 12/21/91, 7/1/97, 10/4/01, 1/8/04, 10/8/09