(A) Each school shall maintain the following records for three years from the date the record was finalized.
(1) A record of the material taught for each student in each training session, regardless of whether the student has completed all training.
(a) The record shall include the student's name and address; driver license or permit number and, if applicable, its validation date; the date of each training session; and the starting time, and the ending time for each session the student completed.
(b) Each behind-the-wheel session notation shall be signed or initialed by the student.
(c) The instructor who provided the instruction for each behind-the-wheel session shall initial the record and record the instructor's license number for each session.
(d) The training manager or a licensed instructor shall sign the final record. The signature of the training manager or instructor shall confirm all training has been successfully completed.
(e) A distinct record shall be kept for classroom training, and a distinct record shall be kept for behind-the-wheel training.
(2) The record for each student who is less than eighteen years of age shall include the following notations, if applicable to that student:
(a) That the student received all classroom instruction required by this chapter and division (C) of section 4508.02 of the Revised Code.
(b) That the student satisfactorily completed the behind-the-wheel instruction required by this chapter and division (C) of section 4508.02 of the Revised Code.
(c) The student's score on any examination of knowledge or skill required by rule 4501-7-10 of the Administrative Code.
(d) A record of the certificate of completion issued including its number and the date of issue.
(3) A record of every driver training certificate of completion issued by the enterprise to students under eighteen years of age. This record shall be maintained on forms supplied by the director.
(4) A copy of the training agreement between the enterprise and each student trained.
(5) The completed and signed final training record which has been given to each student upon completion of the training.
(6) A record of each training session administered by the school including the date, time, topic of instruction, instructor of record, and complete roster of the students attending such session.
(7) A record of the schedule for behind-the-wheel instruction for each instructor that includes the date, time and student name for each lesson.
(B) In addition to student records listed in paragraph (A) of this rule, the authorizing official or training manager of a driver training enterprise or school shall maintain a permanent file of the following records:
(1) A copy of each instructor's current license.
(2) A copy of the authorization from the department for instructors employed by that enterprise to train persons with disabilities.
(3) A complete copy of the driver training curriculum used by the school and any supporting textbooks, articles, or other sources of driver training information used for classroom or behind-the-wheel instruction.
(4) The current school license. A copy shall be stored in the files maintained by the enterprise and the original school license shall be posted in the school in a conspicuous location where any person who enters the school can see it. If a license cannot be posted at the school, the license, or a copy thereof, shall be carried to each training session provided in that school, and it shall be made available to any person upon request.
(5) A certificate of insurance verifying an active policy covering each vehicle used by the enterprise or its instructors for driver training with limits set forth in paragraph (B) of rule 4501-7-08 of the Administrative Code.
(6) A valid and current continuous performance bond covering the enterprise's obligations to provide student instruction as set forth in paragraph (E) of rule 4501-7-08 of the Administrative Code.
(7) The enterprise or organization that completed the training shall maintain the records of the instructors and training managers trained for three years. Dates, times, location of training and curriculum used shall be kept on file for inspection.
(C) All of the documents listed in this rule shall be kept accurately and stored in a file in the office of the school. These documents shall be furnished upon request to the director.
(D) If a school closes or an enterprise discontinues business for any reason, the authorizing official or training manager shall advise the director in writing at least thirty days prior to closing where the school's records will be stored.
(E) Driver training enterprises shall issue certificates of completion to beginning drivers who are under the age of eighteen who have successfully completed the training required by division (C) of section 4508.02 of the Revised Code.
(1) The director shall supply certificates of completion for the course of training required by division (C) of section 4508.02 of the Revised Code and shall maintain a record of all certificates supplied to each enterprise. This record will include the date certificates were supplied and the name of the enterprise to which they were supplied. The certificates will be supplied to a licensed enterprise and shall not be transferred to or issued by any other enterprise.
(2) The authorizing official or training manager shall issue certificates to students in numerical sequence based upon the date a student completes the training. No authorizing official or training manager shall issue a certificate before the student has completed all required training.
(3) Certificates shall be logged by the enterprise through an online system managed by the department.
(4) When a driver training enterprise closes for any reason, including a license suspension or revocation, the director shall make all unused certificates of completion inaccessible to the enterprise.
(5) When an authorizing official or training manager determines that a certification of completion must be voided, the box for "void" shall be marked on the online system.
(6) In the event a certificate of completion is lost or stolen after being issued to a student, the student may obtain a new certificate of completion from the driver training enterprise from where it was issued. The student shall first complete a request for a new certificate of completion on a form supplied by the director explaining the theft or loss. This form shall be signed by the student and parent or legal guardian.The completed request from the student shall be retained by the enterprise and attached to the certificates-issued list as a notice to the director that the certificate of completion was lost. The training manager or authorizing official, or a designee, shall log the issuance of the new certificate of completion on the certificates-issued list. No driver training school may charge a fee for a replacement certificate of completion that exceeds the actual cost of preparing the certificate of completion.
(7) All certificates of completion shall be printed electronically via the online system. An authorizing official or training manager of the school which issues the certificate shall sign each certificate. If an instructor, authorizing official, or manager permits the use of a stamped or electronically produced signature, that instructor, official, or manager shall be responsible for the securing of such stamp or electronic means, and that instructor, official, or manager shall be responsible for any document on which that instructor's, official's, or manager's signature is produced.
(F) The instructor's license, or a photocopy of the license, shall be maintained by the instructor, and by each enterprise for which the instructor trains. The license, or a photocopy thereof, shall be kept in the instructor's possession at any time the instructor is training students.
(G) No person shall falsify, alter, or in any manner tamper with any records required to be kept by this chapter.
(H) All records required to be maintained by an enterprise under the rules of this chapter, including those maintained on a computer database, shall be kept in a school's designated office that conforms to the standards under this chapter. The authorizing official or training manager shall make all records available for inspection by the director or by a student and/or the student's parent or legal guardian at any and all reasonable times. Any records required to be maintained which are in a computer database shall be accessible and capable of being distinguished from non-related records.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 04/03/2009 and 10/08/2014
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4508.02
Rule Amplifies: 4508.02, 4508.03
Prior Effective Dates: 1/7/67, 3/1/76, 8/25/78, 11/23/78, 12/1/80, 2/29/88, 12/21/91, 7/1/97, 10/4/01, 1/8/04