(A) No person shall establish a driver training enterprise or allow such enterprise to continue unless the authorizing official first applies for and obtains from the director a license for a driver training school. The authorizing official shall ensure the driver training school, its business enterprise, and its instructors and training managers operate in compliance with Chapter 4508. of the Revised Code and Chapter 4501-7 of the Administrative Code as well as all other applicable local, state, and federal laws. No motorcycle training or motorcycle safety program is administered under this chapter of the Administrative Code.
(B) Each authorizing official applying for a school license shall make application in writing to the department on a form prescribed and designated by the director.
(C) No driver training enterprise established after July 1, 2001, may share the same name as any other driver training enterprise unless the same person owns both.
(D) The director issues CDL school licenses.
(E) Each authorizing official applying for an original school license shall:
(1) Include a fee of two hundred fifty dollars;
(2) Complete and submit the form supplied by the director;
(3) Identify the person or persons who are the licensed training manager and the authorizing official for the school;
(4) Submit a criminal abstract of the authorizing official provided by the bureau of criminal identification and investigation and dated by the bureau of criminal identification and investigation not more than ninety days prior to the date the application is received by the director;
(5) Submit a copy of the training manager's certificate of training showing the training manager has completed, within the past ten years, a driver training school manager's course approved by the director;
(6) Certify the applicant will operate the driver training enterprise and its school in compliance with all applicable laws of the Revised Code, the Administrative Code, and all other applicable local, state, and federal laws.
(F) An original school license expires on December thirty-first of the odd year following issuance and may be renewed every odd year thereafter.
(G) Each authorizing official applying for a renewal school license shall:
(1) Include a fee of one hundred dollars;
(2) Complete the form supplied by the director;
(3) Identify the person or persons who serve as the licensed training manager and the authorizing official for the school;
(4) Certify the applicant will operate the driver training enterprise and its school in compliance with all applicable laws of the Revised Code, the Administrative Code, and all other applicable local, state, and federal laws.
(5) Ensure the department receives the renewal application or that it is postmarked no later than November thirtieth of each odd year.
(H) If a renewal application is not postmarked or received by the director at least thirty days prior to the expiration of the current school license, the authorizing official shall submit an application for an original school license in accordance with paragraph (E) of this rule.
(I) No authorizing official shall change the school's name, ownership, or school location without prior notification to the director.
(1) Any person to whom the ownership of a driver training enterprise is to be conveyed shall submit an original license application in accordance with paragraph (E) of this rule. The application for an original license shall be submitted to and approved by the director prior to the conveyance of ownership.
(2) Any person to whom an interest in ownership is conveyed that does not constitute a change of ownership as defined in rule 4501-7-01 of the Administrative Code shall submit an application for conveyance of interest to the director along with the documents required in paragraphs (E)(2), (E)(3), and (E)(4) of this rule.
(3) No fees will be assessed for moving the location of a school or the name of a driver training enterprise.
(J) All license fees shall be in the form of a check or money order made payable to the treasurer of the state of Ohio.
(K) No person shall submit an application that is incomplete or incorrect or which contains false or misleading information. An incomplete or incorrect application may be rejected or returned to the applicant. An application containing false or misleading information may be denied.
(L) If a driver training enterprise or school closes or discontinues business for any reason, the authorizing official shall return the school license to the director immediately.
Replaces: part of 4501-7-04
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 10/08/2014
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4508.02
Rule Amplifies: 4508.01 , 4508.02 , 4508.03 , 4508.05 , 4508.09
Prior Effective Dates: 10/4/01