(A) Each school shall maintain the following records for three years from the date the record was finalized.
(1) A record of the material taught for each student in each training session, regardless of whether the student has completed all training.
(a) The record shall include: the student's name and address, driver license or permit number and, if applicable, its validation date and the date of each training session, the starting time, and the ending time for each session the student completed.
(b) Each session notation shall be signed or initialed by the student.
(c) The instructor who provided the instruction for each session shall initial the record and record the instructor's license number for each session.
(d) The training manager or a licensed instructor shall sign the final record. The signature of the training manager or instructor shall confirm all training has been successfully completed.
(e) A distinct record shall be kept for classroom training, and a distinct record shall be kept for behind-the-wheel training.
(2) For each student in a training course for the operation of commercial motor vehicles, the records shall include the following notations:
(b) That the student satisfactorily completed the behind-the-wheel instruction required by this chapter.
(c) The student's final test score.
(3) For three years the enterprise or organization that completed the training shall maintain records of the instructors and training managers trained. Dates, times, location of training, and curriculum used shall be kept on file for inspection.
(B) In addition to student records listed in paragraph (A) of this rule, the authorizing official or training manager of a driver training enterprise or school shall maintain a permanent file of the following records:
(1) A copy of each instructor's current license.
(2) A complete copy of the driver training curriculum used by the school and any supporting textbooks, articles, or other sources of driver training information used for classroom or behind-the-wheel instruction.
(3) The current school license. A copy shall be stored in the files maintained by the enterprise and the original school license shall be posted in the school in a conspicuous location where any person who enters the school can see it. If a license cannot be posted at the school, the license, or a copy thereof, shall be carried to each training session provided in that school, and it shall be made available to any person upon request.
(4) A certificate of insurance verifying an active policy covering each vehicle used by the enterprise or its instructors for driver training with limits set forth in paragraph (B) of rule 4501-7-27 of the Administrative Code.
(6) A record of all driver training instructor's and manager's training provided to instructors and managers who are or who have been employed by the enterprise. The enterprise shall maintain this record for all instructors currently employed and it shall be maintained for at least three years following the termination of an instructor's employment.
(C) All of the documents listed in this rule shall be kept accurately and stored in a file in the office of the school. These documents shall be furnished upon request to the director.
(D) If a school closes or an enterprise discontinues business for any reason, the authorizing official or training manager shall advise the director in writing at least thirty days prior to closing where the school's records will be stored.
When a driver training enterprise closes for any reason, including a license suspension or revocation, all unused certificates of completion shall be made inaccessible to the enterprise by the department.
(E) Certificate information shall be logged via the enterprise through an on-line system managed by the department.
(F) The instructor's license, or a photocopy of the license, shall be maintained by the instructor, and by each enterprise for which the instructor trains. The license, or a photocopy thereof, shall be kept in the instructor's possession at any time the instructor is training students.
(G) No person shall falsify, alter, or in any manner tamper with any records required to be kept by this chapter.
(H) All records required to be maintained by an enterprise under the rules of this chapter, including those maintained on a computer database, shall be kept in a school's designated office that conforms to the standards under this chapter. The authorizing official or training manager shall make all records available for inspection by the director or by a student at any and all reasonable times. Any records required to be maintained which are in a computer database shall be accessible and capable of being distinguished from non-related records.
Replaces: part of 4501-7-13
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 10/08/2014
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4508.02
Rule Amplifies: 4508.02
Prior Effective Dates: 1/7/67, 3/1/76, 8/25/78, 11/23/78, 12/1/80, 2/29/88, 12/21/91, 7/1/97, 10/4/01, 1/8/04