(A) Each architect shall be authorized to use a seal as hereinafter directed in paragraphs (B) and (C) of this rule on all documents prepared by the architect or under the architect's direct supervision for use in this state for the purpose of properly imprinting the drawings, specifications, and other contract documents as required by section 4703.12 of the Revised Code. The seal shall be circular in shape and two inches in diameter. Concentric with the outside of the seal there shall be a circle one and three eighths inches in diameter. In the annular space between the circle and the outside of the seal shall be the words "state of Ohio" at the top and "registered architect" at the bottom. The name of the architect and the architects registration number shall be placed horizontally within the inner circle. The seal shall be either an individual embossing seal, rubber stamp seal, electronically generated seal or other reproducible facsimile.
(B) The application of the architect's seal, above the architect's printed name, license number, and expiration date of the architect's license, and an ink or electronic signature, to the title or first sheet of bound sets of drawings, to the title page of bound specifications and to other drawings and contract documents required for official filing with building permit agencies shall constitute the imprinting required by section 4703.12 of the Revised Code.
The term signature as used herein shall mean a handwritten identification containing the name of the person who applied it; or for electronic or digital documents shall mean an electronic authentication process attached to or logically associated with the document. The digital signature must be unique to, and under the sole control of the person using it; it must also be capable of verification and linked to a document in such a manner that the digital signature is invalidated if any data on the document is altered.
(C) The architect shall imprint documents only if the architect was the author of such drawings, specifications and other contract documents or was in responsible charge of their preparation.
(D) An electronic seal and signature are permitted to be used in lieu of an original seal and signature when the following criteria, and all other requirements of this paragraph are met:
(1) It is a unique identification of the professional;
(2) It is verifiable;
(3) It is under the professional's direct and sole control;
(4) It is linked to the document in such a manner that changes are readily determined and visually displayed if any data contained in the document file was changed subsequent to the electronic seal and signature having been affixed to the document, and
(5) In addition, once the electronic seal and signature is applied to the document, the document shall be available in a view only format if the document is to be electronically transmitted;
(6) The graphic image of the electronic seal and signature shall be readily available and produced in a manner acceptable to the board. It shall contain the same wording as and shall have substantially the same graphic appearance and size as required by paragraph (A) of this rule when the image of the electronically transmitted document is viewed at the same size as the document in the its original form.
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 09/12/2014 and 10/31/2019
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4703.02
Rule Amplifies: 4703.12
Prior Effective Dates: 3/19/74, 11/4/77, 6/25/03, 6/25/90, 4/15/92, 11/1/94, 7/30/99, 7/29/05, 07/01/2012