(A) Disinfectants are inactivated and ineffective when the implement to be disinfected is visibly contaminated with debris, hair, dirt, oils, particulates, and/or when heavily soiled. Thus, non-porous implements and all salon surfaces shall be thoroughly cleaned prior to disinfection.
(1) All used non-porous implements shall first be cleaned with warm, soapy/ detergent water of dirt, debris, and or bodily fluids, and then disinfected by completely immersing in an appropriate disinfectant. A clean, covered container of adequate size shall be used for the wet disinfectant.
(2) All salon surfaces shall be thoroughly cleaned and then disinfected with an appropriate disinfectant before beginning a service.
(3) Disinfectants shall be prepared fresh at least daily. Disinfectants shall be prepared more than once a day if the solution becomes diluted or soiled.
(4) To ensure proper disinfection, non-porous implements and surfaces shall remain in contact with the appropriate disinfectant for the contact time recommended by the manufacturer, or for at least ten minutes if using a bleach solution.
(B) Porous implements shall be discarded after each use, and shall not be cleaned or disinfected for reuse.
(C) All bottles and/or containers other than the original manufacturers' container used for application of an appropriate disinfectant shall be properly labeled as to the contents.
(D) All spills of blood and/or bodily fluids shall be cleaned as soon as possible and disinfected with an appropriate disinfectant.
(1) Nonporous, single-use gloves shall be used to pick up waste.
(2) Any towel, cloth, or other item used to clean a spill of blood or bodily fluids shall be discarded by placing in double bags, or in a biohazard container.
(3) Any clothing affected by the spill shall be removed prior to returning to work.
(4) Any mops, brushes, buckets, or similar items used to clean the spill area shall be disinfected by immersing in a bleach solution mixed and used in accordance with rule 4713-1-01 of the Administrative Code.
(E) Any unused porous items shall be stored in a closed, dustproof cabinet, drawer, or container.
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 02/16/2023
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4713.08(A)(20), 4713.08 (A)(15), 4713.08(A)(1)
Rule Amplifies: 4713.41, 4713.69, 4713.45, 4713.44
Prior Effective Dates: 11/1/1984, 12/17/1989, 1/26/1997, 4/1/2001, 1/17/2002, 1/10/2004, 5/4/01, 8/11/2008, 11/2/2013