(A) Each tanning facility shall have an operator on duty at all times that possesses a valid and current certificate of formal training, as defined in rule 4713-19-02 of the Administrative Code. Formal training courses for operators must meet the requirements of paragraph 4713-19-02(G) of the Administrative Code. Proof of training must be maintained within the facility and be available for inspection.
(B) In addition to the requirements of paragraph 4713-19-02(G) of the Administrative Code, each formal training course shall meet the following requirements:
(1) Each course shall be at least four hours in length. This four hours shall not include items such as registration, lunch, marketing, profit-making strategies, advertising and accounting, taking a test, or similar functions:
(2) Each course shall include written material which covers the required subjects, such as core training manual; audio-visual presentations which cover the required subjects, such as slides or videos; copies of the "Board" rules and copies of Title 21, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 1040, Section 1040.20 ; and a question and answer period for trainees;
(3) Courses may be offered via web based or correspondence course. However, the person taking the course shall take a monitored written examination in order to receive their certificate of completion. The monitoring process for the examination shall be approved by the "Board" as part of the education course approval;
(4) Each course will be processed through the "Board's" continuing education (CE) process. Individual licensees of the "Board" shall receive CE credit whether or not they pass the test per rule 4713-21-09 of the Administrative Code, however, if they fail the test, they shall not be granted a certified operator certificate.
(C) Each employee who assists customers or operates tanning devices shall be trained on proper operation and maintenance of tanning devices. The operator of the tanning facility is responsible for training those employees or ensuring that those employees take an approved training course. When the operator provides employee training, that training shall include:
(1) Review of the requirements of Chapter 4713-19 of the Administrative Code;
(2) Procedures for correct cleaning, sanitizing and operation of the device;
(3) Recognition of overexposure or similar injury;
(4) Review of manufacturer's procedures for operation and maintenance of tanning devices;
(5) Medical aspects of ultraviolet radiation, maximum allowable time of exposure, and determination of human skin types as it relates to compliance use of the FDA exposure schedule; and
(6) Emergency procedures in case of overexposure or injury.
(D) Operators and other facility personnel who must comply with the training requirements of this chapter, must complete the required training according to the following:
(1) Operators hired on or after the effective date of this chapter must complete the required training prior to taking charge of a facility;
(2) All Operators hired before the effective date of this chapter shall have a period of one hundred eighty days after the effective date of this chapter to successfully complete the required formal training.
(E) Any individual or organization requesting the "Board" to review their training courses for compliance with the requirements of this rule shall submit copies of their training materials to the "Board" prior to providing that training in Ohio. The materials submitted shall include credentials of trainers and persons compiling the training materials, a copy of the classroom or correspondence course curriculum, copies of written materials to be received by trainees, and a statement indicating the length of time a classroom/Internet/correspondence course will be conducted. The "Board" shall review the materials and inform the applicant of its findings within thirty days from receipt of all training materials. When changes are made to a training course that has been reviewed and accepted by the "Board", those changes should also be submitted to the "Board" for review.
(F) Inspectors shall have a preset list of questions, which they shall use to ask operators/employees at tanning facilities basic questions covered in the course above.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 12/23/2005 and 01/31/2010
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: RC 4713.08
Rule Amplifies: RC 4713.48
Prior Effective Dates: 1/17/02