(A) Licensees or boutique services registration holder shall be exempt from all continuing education requirements until the renewal licensing period commencing after their initial licensure.
(B) Each individual seeking to renew an active license to practice a branch of cosmetology, advanced license, instructor license, or boutique services registration shall complete the number of hours of continuing education specified in this paragraph for each biennial licensing period. Continuing education shall be completed on or before the fifteenth of January of every odd numbered year.
(1) A licensee shall complete continuing education in the following manner:
(a) An individual that holds a license to practice a branch of cosmetology, advanced license, or instructor license shall complete the following hours of continuing education for each license held:
(i) One hour of continuing education concerning updates of Ohio laws or rules regulating the practice of cosmetology;
(ii) Two hours of continuing education concerning safety and sanitation; and
(iii) Five hours of continuing education concerning subject matter relating to the scope of services for each license held by the individual.
(b) Continuing education hours completed to meet the requirements of paragraphs (B)(1)(a)(i) and (B)(1)(a)(ii) of this rule may be used to meet the continuing education requirements for other licenses the individual seeks to renew under division (B) of this rule and need not be repeated for each license.
(2) An individual seeking to renew a boutique services registration shall complete continuing education in the following manner:
(a) One hour of continuing education concerning updates of Ohio laws or rules regulating the practice of cosmetology; and
(b) Four hours of continuing education concerning safety and sanitation.
(3) Continuing education hours shall be obtained from board approved continuing education providers. The Board shall maintain a listing of all approved continuing education providers on the agency's website.
(4) The board, at its discretion, may establish guidelines for continuing education content requirements per renewal cycle and shall communicate those requirements to all licensees.
(C) An individual shall not receive continuing education credit for the following:
(1) Continuing education courses the individual takes before receiving a license from the board, or
(2) Continuing education not approved by the board at the time the individual takes the course, or
(3) Continuing education hours earned in a prior biennial renewal cycle.
(4) Corrective action courses as set forth in rule 4713-8-10 of the Administrative Code and assigned as part of or instead of any penalty imposed under section 4713.64 of the Revised Code for a violation of the board's laws or rules.
(D) To enable the board to audit whether a continuing education course complies with the rules of this chapter, a provider shall do the following:
(1) Allow any and all official representatives and employees of the board entrance into any board-approved continuing education course, at no cost to the board.
(2) Provide free entry and passwords into an on-line or internet course site for all official representatives and employees of the board.
(E) Current licensees shall be able to receive continuing education credit for classes completed in a school of cosmetology.
(F) Licensees age sixty-five or older, before January thirty-first of a renewal period, are exempt from the requirement to obtain continuing education hours for the renewal of their active license.
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 06/03/2016 and 12/05/2021
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4713.09
Rule Amplifies: 4713.59, 4713.60, 4713.62
Prior Effective Dates: 6/15/95, 1/26/97, 4/01/01, 1/10/04, 5/1/04, 6/21/2011, 11/01/2013