(A) Licensees or boutique services registration holders under Chapter 4713. of the Revised Code shall be exempt from all continuing education requirements, other than required training on human trafficking, until the renewal licensing period commencing after their initial licensure. Licensees under Chapter 4709. of the Revised Code shall be exempt from all continuing education requirements until the biennial licensing period beginning September 1, 2020. Following this initial exemption period, licensees under Chapter 4709. of the Revised Code shall be exempt from all continuing education requirements, other than required training on human trafficking, until the renewal licensing period commencing after their initial licensure.
(B) Each individual seeking to renew an active license to practice a branch of cosmetology, advanced license, instructor license, or boutique services registration shall complete the number of hours of continuing education specified in this paragraph for each biennial licensing period. Continuing education shall be completed on or before the fifteenth of January of every odd numbered year.
(1) A licensee shall complete continuing education in the following manner:
(a) An individual that holds a license to practice a branch of cosmetology, advanced license, or instructor license, or a barber or barber teacher license, shall complete the following hours of continuing education for each license held:
(i) One hour of continuing education concerning updates of Ohio laws or rules regulating the practice of cosmetology and/or barbering, as applicable;
(ii) Two hours of continuing education concerning safety and infection control; and
(iii) Five hours of continuing education concerning subject matter relating to the scope of services for each license held by the individual.
(b) Continuing education hours completed to meet the requirements of paragraphs (B)(1)(a)(i) and (B)(1)(a)(ii) of this rule may be used to meet the continuing education requirements for other licenses the individual seeks to renew under paragraph (B) of this rule and need not be repeated for each license.
(2) An individual seeking to renew a boutique services registration shall complete continuing education in the following manner:
(a) One hour of continuing education concerning updates of Ohio laws or rules regulating the practice of cosmetology; and
(b) Four hours of continuing education concerning safety and infection control.
(3) Continuing education hours shall be obtained from board approved continuing education providers. The board shall maintain a listing of all approved continuing education providers on the agency's website.
(4) The board, at its discretion, may establish guidelines for continuing education content requirements per renewal cycle and shall communicate those requirements to all licensees.
(C) An individual shall not receive continuing education credit for the following:
(1) Continuing education courses the individual takes before receiving a license from the board;
(2) Continuing education not approved by the board at the time the individual takes the course;
(3) Continuing education hours earned in a prior biennial renewal cycle;
(4) Identical course instruction completed during a single renewal period; or
(5) Corrective action courses assigned for a violation of the board's laws or rules.
(D) To enable the board to audit whether a continuing education course complies with the rules of this chapter, a provider shall do the following:
(1) Allow any and all official representatives and employees of the board entrance into any board-approved continuing education course, at no cost to the board.
(2) Provide free entry and passwords into an on-line or internet course site for all official representatives and employees of the board.
(E) Current licensees shall be able to receive continuing education credit for classes completed in a cosmetology or barber school .
(F) Licensees who are age sixty-five or older before the start of a renewal period, or who have held a board license for thirty or more years before the start of a renewal period, are exempt from the requirement to complete continuing education hours, other than the one-time human trafficking training required under rule 4713-1-14 of the Administrative Code, in order to renew their active license.
(G) Notwithstanding any other provision of this rule, an individual whose Ohio license to practice cosmetology, a branch of cosmetology, and/or barbering has expired, but who holds an active license to practice cosmetology, a branch of cosmetology, and/or barbering in another jurisdiction, may receive continuing education credit for courses completed in order to maintain the license in the other jurisdiction when seeking to restore the applicable, expired Ohio license pursuant to section 4713.63 of the Revised Code.
(1) Upon an application to restore an expired Ohio license by an individual holding an active license in another jurisdiction, the board shall review the continuing education requirements of the jurisdiction where an individual holds an active license to determine equivalence with board requirements.
(2) The board may require an applicant to complete any continuing education hours necessary to meet the board's continuing education requirements.
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 12/5/2021
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4709.05, 4713.09
Rule Amplifies: 4709.05, 4713.59, 4713.60, 4713.62
Prior Effective Dates: 10/23/1992, 06/15/1995, 01/26/1997, 04/01/2001, 08/09/2002, 01/10/2004, 05/01/2004, 06/21/2011, 07/20/2013, 11/01/2013, 12/05/2016