(A) Licensees shall be exempt from all continuing education requirements until the renewal licensing period commencing after their initial licensure.
(B) Each individual holding a personal, active license shall take eight hours of continuing education over a renewal period.
(1) No licensee shall receive credit for identical course instruction completed during a single renewal period,
(2) A licensee shall complete eight hours of continuing education in the following manner:
(a) An individual holding a managing license in cosmetology or in a branch of cosmetology has turned in the basic license for the branch of cosmetology the individual practices as set forth in Chapter 4713-8 of the Administrative Code. The individual with a managing license shall take eight hours of continuing education as that individual holds one license.
(b) One requirement in section 4713.31 of the Revised Code for a licensee applying to be an instructor is to hold a current, valid managing cosmetologist license issued in Ohio when applying to become an instructor, as set forth in section 4713.31 of the Revised Code. An instructor may allow the managing license to be escrowed if the instructor is only teaching cosmetology or a branch of cosmetology. An individual holding an instructor's license and no other license shall take eight hours of courses related to the instruction of cosmetology or a branch thereof. When and if the instructor decides to activate the escrowed managing license, the instructor shall do so under section 4713.61 of the Revised Code.
(c) One requirement in section 4713.31 of the Revised Code for a licensee applying to be an instructor is to hold a current, valid managing cosmetologist license issued in Ohio when applying to become an instructor, as set forth. If an instructor retains a current, valid managing license, the instructor shall complete continuing education of eight hours for each license held.
(d) A licensee holding both a cosmetology license and a license to practice esthetics as permitted in rules 4713-8-03 and 4713-8-04 of the Administrative Code shall take eight hours of coursework for each license.
(e) An individual holding an independent contractor's license shall take two hours of continuing education in business, state laws and rules, and tax as determined by the board as part of the eight hours required to retain the managing license.
(3) Continuing education hours shall only be credited when provided by a board approved list of continuing education providers.
(4) The board, at its discretion, may establish guidelines for continuing education content requirements per renewal cycle and shall communicate those requirements to all licensees.
(C) An individual shall not receive continuing education credit for the following:
(1) Continuing education courses the individual takes before receiving a license from the board, or
(2) Courses not approved by the board at the time the individual takes the course, or
(3) Corrective action courses as set forth in rule 4713-8-10 of the Administrative Code and assigned as part of or instead of any penalty imposed under section 4713.64 of the Revised Code for a violation of the board's laws or rules.
(D) To enable the board to audit whether a continuing education course complies with the rules of this chapter, a provider shall do the following:
(1) Allow any and all official representatives and employees of the board entrance into any board-approved continuing education course, at no cost to the board.
(2) Provide free entry and passwords into an on-line or internet course site for all official representatives and employees of the board.
(E) The board shall keep, and make available to all licensees, a current roster of approved continuing education courses that shall include an explanation of any and all course prerequisites required for admission into the course offering.
(F) Current licensees shall be able to receive continuing education credit for classes completed in a school of cosmetology.
(G) Licensees age sixty-five or older, before January thirty-first of a renewal period, are exempt from the requirement to obtain continuing education hours for the renewal of their active license.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 11/01/2018
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4713.08, 4713.09, 4713.39
Rule Amplifies: 4713.20, 4713.39, 4713.59, 4713.60, 4713.61, 4713.62
Prior Effective Dates: 6/15/95, 1/26/97, 4/01/01, 1/10/04, 5/1/04, 6/21/2011