(A) Every school shall be well lighted, well ventilated, with an exhaust sufficient to remove any chemical fume hazards. The ventilation system shall be sufficient to maintain suitable room temperature, and shall be kept free of contaminants.The HVAC system shall meet state building code and/or local zoning or building codes for the use of the space as a school.
(B) Every school shall maintain a practice/demonstration room, as well as a clinic. Public schools may be excepted from this requirement if the school system mandates a separation of each grade, in which case, the public school may use the same room for both the clinic and the practice room .
(C) The following clinic requirements shall be met:
(1) The clinic shall contain stations for instruction of students. Schools offering cosmetology, hair design, or natural hair styling shall be equipped with two shampoo bowls for every fifteen students in attendance at each session.
(2) The clinic rooms shall not be partitioned into booths; however, the clinic shall be separated from the practice/demonstration room by a partition at least eight feet high.
(3) Every school offering cosmetology, hair design or natural hair styling programs shall have one clinic station for every two students in attendance at each clinic session. Such clinic stations shall be equipped with mirrors, adjustable height chairs, and accommodations for student's equipment and supplies for clinic practice.
(4) Every school offering esthetic and manicuring programs shall have at least one clinic station for every two students in attendance at each clinic session. Such clinic stations shall be equipped with appropriate tables, chairs and accommodations for student's supplies and equipment.
(D) The practice room shall contain practice stations and for school's offering cosmetology, hair design or natural hair styling programs equipped with at least one shampoo bowl for every fifteen students. Each esthetic and nail only school shall have at least one sink for sanitary reasons in the practice room.
(E) The school may meet the shampoo bowl requirements of this rule by establishing a shampoo area separate from both clinic and practice rooms. The shampoo area shall meet the number of shampoo bowls per student ratios as set forth in this rule for both the clinic and the practice room. Should a school use a shampoo area, the design of the facility shall allow access to the shampoo area from both the clinic and practice room without the need to go through the other room.
(F) Facial areas and rooms shall have the following requirements:
(1) Every school offering cosmetology or esthetics shall have a separate facial room or area that is properly equipped to provide a complete facial service.
(a) The school may meet the facial area requirements of this rule by making available a properly equipped area that provides client privacy when the client receives facial services.
(b) A properly equipped area or room shall include a sink with hot and cold running water.
(2) The facial room or area shall be separated from other rooms by partitions sufficient to provide client privacy.
(3) Esthetic schools shall have at least one facial, waxing or make-up room area or station similarly equipped.
(4) Additional facial areas or rooms in full cosmetology course schools shall have either a sink with hot and cold running water in the room or a sink outside the room within forty feet of the room. Cosmetology schools or esthetic only schools may divide the clinic into facial rooms that meet the privacy concerns of their service clients. These divisions may be partitions that are ceiling mounted movable curtains similar to hospital curtains or other flexible dividers. Each such facial room shall be within forty feet of a sink with hot and cold running water.
(G) Every school shall have a dispensary convenient to the other school rooms, which shall be used for the storing and dispensing of supplies and the disinfecting of implements. The dispensary area shall be a minimum of twenty-four square feet and equipped with a sink with hot and cold running water, wet disinfectants, and waste containers. Every school shall have closed dustproof cabinets for clean towels and shall have separate containers for soiled linens and towels. Every school shall maintain sufficient supplies for teaching purposes. In addition to the designated dispensary area, a school may have an additional area authorized for the primary purpose of disinfecting implements.
(H) Every school shall maintain a clean restroom facility, equipped with a flush toilet, hot and cold running water, and a soap dispenser. The facilities shall be kept clean, sanitary and functional.
(I) Every school shall provide locker facilities or other secured enclosures to enable students to safely store their personal items temporarily while they are in school. A school shall provide a minimum of one locker or other secured enclosure for every two students.
(J) Every school shall have an office, in which a school may maintain for safekeeping the records of the school, including its time sheets, school monthly records, and state board forms. The school may use at least one fire-proof cabinet for the safekeeping of its records or may store the records on a computer on or off the property or as describe in the rule 4713-3-06 of the Administrative Code.
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates:
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4713.08(A)(13)
Rule Amplifies: 4713.44
Prior Effective Dates: 9/5/77, 12/17/89, 1/26/97, 5/01/03, 02/28/2014