(A) The board shall approve course outlines for each program.
(1) A school may use its own outline, but the board shall approve the outline prior to its use.
(2) Course outlines are available on the board's website.
(3) Should the board make any changes to the approved course outlines, the board shall notify all schools of the changes and post those changes to the board's website.
(4) Career technical schools shall also receive Ohio department of education (ODE) approval for any program course outline changes or program additions.
(B) All career technical schools shall schedule an equivalent number of program course hours as the clock hour requirements for the course outlines to ensure the opportunity for students to complete and pass the program. Career technical schools shall meet the program requirements below:
(1) The total time scheduled for the cosmetology program shall be at least fifteen hundred hours and sufficient to complete and pass the approved course outlines. Cosmetology students shall successfully complete and pass the cosmetology program course outlines which may include up to a maximum of four academic courses that meet state curriculum minimum graduation requirements and are taken during the time the student is enrolled in the cosmetology program. The academic courses to be taken during the time the student is enrolled in the cosmetology program can include any of the courses in paragraph (B)(3) of this rule, or if student is on an IEP, as required by the IEP.
(2) The total time scheduled for the hair design program shall be at least twelve hundred hours and sufficient to complete and pass the approved course outline. Hair design program students shall complete and pass hair design course outlines which may include up to a maximum of four academic courses that meet state curriculum minimum requirements and are taken during the time the student is enrolled in the hair design program. The academic courses to be taken during the time the student is enrolled in the hair design program can include any of the courses in paragraph (B)(3) of this rule, or if student is on an IEP, as required by the IEP.
(3) The four academic courses from the following list shall be the only courses counted in paragraph (A)(1) or (A)(2) of this rule: anatomy; physiology; chemistry; advanced chemistry; any mathematics (no more than one mathematics course per program); finance; business marketing; integrated English III and IV; applied communications; English language and composition; speech; physics, electricity and magnetism; and advanced biology courses accepted as meeting graduation requirements of twenty-one carnegie units or as required by the IEP. No more than one non-science course of each discipline may be taken for credit in a program. The four academic courses that shall be counted as part of the total time scheduled for the approved program shall constitute no more than twenty-five percent of the hours required to complete the program.
(C) Career technical schools may contract with proprietary schools for students to complete and pass portions of the course outline units in order to complete and pass course work and obtain full credit for the cosmetology course for the year. Career technical schools are responsible for student outcomes unless the contract states otherwise.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 02/28/2019
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4713.08(A)(13)
Rule Amplifies: 4713.44 , 4713.45
Prior Effective Dates: 1/26/97, 8/5/01, 5/1/03