(A) Each school shall annually provide to the board a course curriculum for review and approval that takes into consideration the subjects and coursework required to receive an initial cosmetology license and advanced practice license, including incorporating any standards adopted by the board pursuant to division (A)(13) of section 4713.08 of the Revised Code. Manager training program curriculums approved by the board on or before September 13, 2016 shall be changed to and recognized by the board as advanced practice training programs after September 13, 2016.
(1) A proprietary school may use its own form to outline its course curriculum, but the board shall approve the course curriculum prior to its use.
(2) Prior to the beginning of each school year, a career technical school must outline its course curriculum using forms provided by the board.
(3) Course curriculum outlines are available on the board's website.
(4) Should the board make any changes to the approved course curriculum, the board shall notify all schools of the changes and post those changes to the board's website.
(5) Career technical schools shall also receive Ohio department of education (ODE) approval for any program course curriculum changes or program additions.
(B) All career technical schools and proprietary schools may schedule either clock hours, credit hours, or competency-based credit hours in accordance with the rules of the board and in an amount equivalent to the total clock hours required for each program offered . Competency-based credit shall only be offered for academic courses allowed under paragraphs (B)(1) and (B)(2) of this rule. Career technical schools shall meet the program requirements as follows:
(1) The total time scheduled for the cosmetology program shall be at least fifteen hundred hours and sufficient to complete and pass the approved course curriculum. Cosmetology students shall successfully complete and pass the cosmetology program course curriculum which may include up to a maximum of four academic courses that meet state curriculum minimum graduation requirements and are taken during the time the student is enrolled in the cosmetology program. The academic courses to be taken during the time the student is enrolled in the cosmetology program can include any of the courses in paragraph (B)(3) of this rule, or if student is on an IEP, as required by the IEP.
(2) The total time scheduled for the hair design program shall be at least twelve hundred hours and sufficient to complete and pass the approved course outlinecurriculum. Hair design program students shall complete and pass hair design course outlines which may include up to a maximum of four academic courses that meet state curriculum minimum requirements and are taken during the time the student is enrolled in the hair design program. The academic courses to be taken during the time the student is enrolled in the hair design program can include any of the courses in paragraph (B)(3) of this rule, or if student is on an IEP, as required by the IEP.
(3) The four academic courses from the following list shall be the only courses counted in paragraph (A)(1) or (A)(2) of this rule: anatomy; physiology; chemistry; advanced chemistry; any mathematics ; finance; business marketing; integrated English III and IV; applied communications; English language and composition; speech; physics, and advanced biology courses accepted as meeting graduation requirements of twenty-one carnegie units or as required by the IEP. The four academic courses that shall be counted as part of the total time scheduled for the approved program shall constitute no more than twenty-five per cent of the hours required to complete the program.
(C) Career technical schools may contract with proprietary schools for students to complete and pass portions of the course curriculum in order to obtain full credit for the cosmetology program. Career technical schools are responsible for student outcomes unless the contract states otherwise.
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 06/03/2016 and 12/05/2021
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4713.08(A)(13)
Rule Amplifies: 4713.44, 4713.45
Prior Effective Dates: 1/26/97, 8/5/01, 5/1/03, 02/28/2014, 9/12/16 (Emer)