(A) A school shall maintain records for each student on a form that either has been designed by the board or follows closely the design of the boards form.
(1) The records shall have the student's full legal name, and the date of enrollment.
(2) Each school shall maintain a copy of each student's records at the school for a period of at least five years from the date of enrollment, except for the records of those students who have completed their appropriate hours of training in which case the records shall be kept no less than six months following a student's graduation.
(3) The board may require, upon written notification to a school, that a copy of the student's records be maintained for a period exceeding six months.
(4) All schools shall maintain a record of all training including the records of each student's total clock hours received each day and the cumulative hours accrued in the program of study.
(a) The school shall maintain on file documentation that clearly indicates student's progress toward completion of the board approved course outline. The documentation shall include end of content examinations for theory and practical for each content standard.
(B) On forms provided by the board or acceptable to the board, each school shall file a report with the board as required in this rule. The report shall be typewritten with the student's names listed in alphabetical order and filed with the board as required. Transcripts for minor students shall have parental release signatures on file at the school as required by the privacy act.
(1) Schools shall report no later than the twentieth day of the following month the number of hours of instruction obtained by each student each month and the total clock hours accrued since the date of enrollment.
(2) A school may award hours to students that are obtained during official school visits to cosmetology related activities if the activity provides specific training related to the school's course outline.
(a) Notice of such official visits/trips shall be sent to the board fifteen days in advance of the visit.
(b) The request shall list the date, time, location and number of hours to be credited to cosmetology study.
(c) Board approval of such requests is not required; however, the board reserves the right to challenge official visits/tours to activities as not being directly related to cosmetology study. The final determination of the award of hours associated with such trips/visits shall be made by the board.
(d) For any activity attended by students outside of a school's official program or classes and for which students may receive hours, a licensed cosmetology instructor from the school shall be at the activity with the students.
(e) Students shall only receive credit for hours obtained outside the school during official visits to cosmetology related activities if the hours extend beyond or are outside of the regularly scheduled program day.
(C) If a dispute arises between a student and a school over the number of hours obtained by the student, upon notification by the board, the school shall immediately certify to the board a copy of the student's records listing the daily number of hours obtained by the student in each major subject area or program/course credits earned. The board shall then resolve the discrepancy by examining the school's records and any information submitted by the student.
(D) A school shall inform the board at least fifteen days in advance of any planned temporary closures, with the exception of closures for national holidays or for unforeseen emergencies. If the school closes entirely or cancels classes without advanced planning, the school shall notify the board as soon as possible after the closure or cancellation of classes.
(E) Schools may award hours to students participating in a themed event involving the use of their cosmetology skills, if the board has been notified fifteen days in advance of the event.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 02/28/2019
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4713.08(A)(13)
Rule Amplifies: 4713.44 , 4713.45
Prior Effective Dates: 1/26/97, 8/1/99, 8/5/01, 5/1/03, 6/25/09