(A) A student, currently or previously enrolled in a school of cosmetology who intends to transfer to another licensed school shall first notify the board in writing of the student's intent to transfer. The student shall also notify the school in which the student is enrolled according to the school's procedure as found in the handbook or catalogue.
(B) The school shall submit a certified record of the training received by the student at the school within thirty days of the request of the student. The certification shall be on forms furnished by the board.
(C) When the certification of training is received, the board shall notify the school to which the student wishes to transfer of the number of clock hours approved.
(D) If the student has not completed the student's contractual obligations to pay fees, tuition, etc. the board may not transfer those hours until the contract is in good standing.
(E) If the original school refuses for reasons other than contractual financial obligations to transfer a student's record, the board, or it's authorized agent, may request the record from the original school in order to establish the hours earned for the student. If the board requests the record, the school shall provide the student's complete record within thirty days.
(F) Any student wishing to transfer schools shall not accrue any clock hours for training at the new school until the board has submitted the student record to the new school.
(G) An exception to this rule will be made if two schools are owned by the same person. When a student transfers schools and the schools share ownership, a school shall not be required to file a discontinuance report, but shall submit an electronic form as specified by the board. If the student does not immediately transfer, but instead waits six months or more, the school shall use the discontinuance report and shall file that report with the board.
(H) The following describes the manner in which hours shall be transferred.
(1) Clock hour to clock hour transfers shall not exceed one hour for one hour.
(2) Clock hour career technical school transfers to other career technical schools shall be evaluated by the assessment of the student's knowledge and program work based upon the Ohio department of education/board approved course outlines and the student's successful completion of examinations on that work. The assessment shall be made by the school accepting the transferring student.
(3) To determine the appropriate clock hours that transfer with a student when a student in a career technical school transfers to a proprietary school, the school shall evaluate the clock hours by assessing the clock hours for only those courses that the student successfully completed and passed.
(I) The board may waive the thirty day requirement for any student transferring from a career technical program in this state.
(J) A student who desires to transfer to another approved program of study of a branch of cosmetology offered by the school that the student currently attends, another school, or a school located in another state shall receive only those clock hours from the current program of study that directly apply to the new program of study.
(1) Not all hours within a designated program of study shall be transferable to another program of study.
(2) In a dispute over the number of clock hours eligible for transfer the board shall verify the number of eligible clock hours that may be transferred per paragraph (A) of this rule.
(3) Of the clock hours that the board finds may transfer to the new school, the new school shall determine the number of clock hours it is willing to accept. The school shall notify the student prior to the student signing the contract with the new school.
(K) Any student attending a school licensed in another state of the United States or the District of Columbia may transfer to an Ohio licensed school and be given credit not to exceed one hour for one hour basis. To be eligible to receive the clock hours, the student shall meet the requirements for license eligibility set forth in section 4713.28 of the Revised Code and in rule 4713-5-09 of the Administrative Code. Career technical schools shall give a performance examination to determine the number of clock hours the school is willing to accept.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 02/28/2019
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4713.08(A)(13)
Rule Amplifies: 4713.44, 4713.45
Prior Effective Dates: 9/5/77, 12/17/89, 2/24/91, 1/26/97, 8/5/01, 5/1/03