The following individuals are eligible for a temporary work permit; students approved for examination for licensure; out-of-state licensees who are required to take the examination for licensure; lapsed licensees upon application to take the examination; and, escrowed licensees for thirty days from the date of receipt at the "Board" of an application for a temporary work permit. The following individuals are eligible for a temporary special occasion work permit: licensees from foreign states with at least five years experience.
(A) Temporary work permits for examination applicants and escrowed licensees.
(1) Every applicant who desires to practice cosmetology or a branch thereof prior to examination shall obtain a temporary work permit from the "Board". The temporary work permit authorizes the holder thereof to engage in the practice of cosmetology under the supervision of an appropriate board licensee up to the date of examination. Such temporary work permit may be extended one time by the "Board"; however, no person is entitled to more than one temporary work permit and candidates are not permitted to practice cosmetology beyond the date of the extension. The applicant shall sign an affidavit that should they fail the examination and fail to notify the salon owner of that fact then, they will be ineligible to take the examination again for one year.
(2) The temporary permit shall be mailed to the salon in which the applicant has arranged to work and said salon identification number shall be included on the application. The salon shall be notified of the results of the examination. If a temporary permit application is submitted without a salon listed, the permit shall be held at the Board until such time as the salon name and identification number are provided at which time the permit shall be mailed to the salon.
(3) The temporary permit will be turned in to the "Board" on the date of the examination.
(4) On the date of examination, the work permit may be extended to a "Board" determined date which will allow the candidate to continue to work pending receipt of their examination results or their license assuming they passed the examination. The extended work permit will be authenticated with the "Board" seal and candidates will not be permitted to practice cosmetology services beyond this "Board" determined date without a license.
(5) Temporary permit holders who do not take the state examination on the scheduled date can no longer perform cosmetology services under that temporary permit and must return this permit to the "Board" offices. That temporary permit may be extended one time only prior to a rescheduled examination and shall be physically presented at the Board for extension. The applicant shall have the extended temporary permit in hand at the salon in order to provide services.
(6) Temporary permit holders who fail the state exam are ineligible to work on that temporary permit once they have been notified by the "Board" that they have failed the state exam.
(a) The temporary permit must be immediately returned to the "Board".
(b) Temporary permit holders who do not return the work permit to the "Board" will not be rescheduled for the exam until the temporary permit has been returned to the "Board".
(c) Temporary permits may be returned to the "Board" with the exam reschedule application.
(B) Salons are eligible for one special occasion work permit per individual licensee per year. All documents shall be provided in English or with a certified English translation. Each salon that desires a temporary special occasion work permit shall provide the following:
(1) Pay a fee of fifty dollars.
(2) A copy of the license from the licensee's state. If they are from a foreign country that does not license the cosmetology field, they shall provide documentation of professional experience.
(3) The dates requested for the special occasion work permit not to exceed one month.
(4) The salon "Board" identification number.
(5) Proof that the licensee has at least five years experience in their field (as required on the application).
(6) Proof of eligibility to work for non-citizens of the USA.
119.032 review dates:
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4713.08(A) ( 13)
Rule Amplifies: 4713.44, 4713.45
Prior Effective Dates: 1/26/97, 8/1/99, 8/5/01, 5/1/03