(A) The purpose of this chapter is to establish:
(1) Minimal acceptable standards of safe and effective cosmetology practice for a cosmetologist, hair designer, esthetician, natural hair stylist and manicurist in a salon;
(2) Criteria for the board to evaluate:
(a) Whether a person who practices cosmetology or a branch of cosmetology does so in a safe and effective manner, adhering to the standards set for safety, sanitation and disinfection in the board's laws and rules and practicing cosmetology in a manner that does not jeopardize the public's health or welfare, and
(b) Adherence to acceptable and prevailing standards of cosmetology practice.
(B) The board may determine adherence to acceptable and prevailing standards of safe cosmetology practice by using:
(1) Board member expertise;
(2) An expert witness;
(3) Current cosmetology or related literature which emanates from a recognized body of knowledge;
(4) Position statements, standards for practice, or guidelines for practice from nationally recognized cosmetology entities; or
(5) Other recognized sources that may provide the appropriate expertise or information.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 08/07/2013 and 11/01/2018
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: R.C. 4713.08(A)(1)
Rule Amplifies: RC 4713.01, R.C. 4713.02, 4713.15, 4713.35, 4713.64
Prior Effective Dates: 1/10/04