(A) A cosmetologist shall provide cosmetology services within a salon where the license is current, active and appropriate to the scope of practice of cosmetology for a cosmetologist as set forth in section 4713.01 of the Revised Code and the rules of the board.
(B) A cosmetologist shall maintain knowledge of the duties, responsibilities, and accountabilities of practice and shall practice in accordance with the following:
(1) The laws regulating the practice of cosmetology;
(2) The rules of the board;
(3) Any other applicable federal, state and local laws and rules; and
(4) Position statements, standards for practice, or guidelines for practice from nationally recognized professional cosmetology entities; provided these statements, standards, or guidelines are consistent with existing laws or rules.
(C) A cosmetologist shall demonstrate competence and accountability in all areas of practice in which the cosmetologist is engaged which includes, but is not limited to, the following:
(1) Consistent performance of all aspects of cosmetology services according to acceptable and prevailing standards, and
(2) Appropriate recognition, referral or consultation, and intervention, when a complication arises during or after the performance of a specific service or procedure.
(D) A cosmetologist may provide advanced practice services provided:
(1) The cosmetologist obtains appropriate education that emanates from a recognized body of knowledge relative to the cosmetology service to be provided;
(2) The cosmetologist demonstrates appropriate knowledge, skills, and abilities to provide the cosmetology service;
(3) The cosmetologist maintains documentation satisfactory to the "Board" of meeting the requirements set forth in paragraphs (D)(1) and (D)(2) of this rule;
(4) The cosmetology service does not involve a function or procedure, which is prohibited by any other law or rule and does not exceed the definition of the practice of cosmetology in section 4713.01 of the Revised Code, and
(5) Cosmetologists performing services that are unregulated by the state shall follow rule 4713-8-09 of the Administrative Code.
(E) Cosmetologists shall not provide any service that claims to have a medical or healing benefit. The scope of practice is limited to beautification and relaxation services only. The scope of practice is limited to non-invasive services only. Services offered using the term therapy shall be within the meaning defined in paragraph (LL) of rule 4713-1-01 of the Administrative Code.
(F) Cosmetologists may exfoliate stratum corneum cells only. With proper training, cosmetologists may use any chemical, mechanical or electrical service that only exfoliates cells of the stratum corneum. Proper advanced practice training from the manufacturer or the manufacturer's certified representative shall be required prior to service to the public as set forth in rule 4713-8-09 of the Administrative Code. After completing the training, a licensee shall display the manufacturer's certificate of training in a publicly conspicuous place.
(G) Cosmetologists may use a lancet to enhance the opening in a comedo or to create a small opening in the dead surface corneum to facilitate extraction of a milia in order to better extract the contents. Cosmetologists shall not pierce the stratum corneum or use a lancet for any other purpose. Cosmetologists shall not perform a comedo enhancement or milia extraction with a lancet unless they have had specific documented training for this procedure. Only sterile, one-use, disposable lancets shall be used and they shall be disposed of in a "sharps box" medical waste container.
(H) Cosmetologists may use advanced techniques in a salon after receiving training to perform the technique.
(I) Cosmetologists working under the direct supervision of a licensed physician shall provide only services within their scope of practice as set forth under the laws and rules that govern the board.
(J) Chemical peels performed by a cosmetologist shall be mixed and used at an ingredient concentration of thirty per cent solution or less at final formulation with a pH value not less than three.
(K) A license in cosmetology supersedes all licenses of any branch of cosmetology, with the exception of a cosmetologist who also holds an esthetician license. An individual shall surrender all branch licenses to the board when the board issues the individual a cosmetology license, except for an esthetician license as a cosmetologist may hold that license along with the cosmetology license.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 08/07/2013 and 11/01/2018
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: R.C. 4713.08(A)(1)
Rule Amplifies: R.C. 4713.01, R.C. 4713.14, R.C. 4713.28, R.C. 4713.35, R.C. 4713.39
Prior Effective Dates: 1/10/04, 3/30/2009