(A) A hair designer shall provide cosmetology services within a salon where the license is current, active and appropriate to the scope of practice of hair design for a hair designer as set forth in section 4713.01 of the Revised Code and the rules of the board.
(B) A hair designer shall maintain knowledge of the duties, responsibilities, and accountabilities of practice and shall practice in accordance with the following:
(1) The laws regulating the practice of hair design;
(2) The rules of the board;
(3) Any other applicable federal, state and local laws and rules; and
(4) Position statements, standards for practice, or guidelines for practice from nationally recognized professional cosmetology or hair design entities; provided these statements, standards, or guidelines are consistent with existing laws or rules.
(C) A hair designer shall demonstrate competence and accountability in all areas of practice in which the hair designer is engaged which includes, but is not limited to, the following:
(1) Consistent performance of all aspects of hair design services according to acceptable and prevailing standards, and
(2) Appropriate recognition, referral or consultation, and intervention, when a complication arises during or after the performance of a specific service or procedure.
(D) A hair designer may provide advanced practice services provided:
(1) The hair designer obtains appropriate education, which emanates from a recognized body of knowledge relative to the hair design service to be provided;
(2) The hair designer demonstrates appropriate knowledge, skills, and abilities to provide the hair design service as licensed;
(3) The hair designer maintains documentation satisfactory to the board of meeting the requirements set forth in paragraphs (D)(1) and (D)(2) of this rule;
(4) The hair designer service does not involve a function or procedure, which is prohibited by any other law or rule and does not exceed the definition of the practice of hair design in section 4713.01 of the Revised Code, and
(E) Hair designers shall not provide any service that claims to have a medical or healing benefit. The scope of practice is limited to beautification and relaxation services only. The scope of practice is limited to non-invasive services only. Services offered using the term therapy shall be within the meaning defined in paragraph (LL) of rule 4713-1-01 of the Administrative Code.
(F) Hair designers may use advanced techniques in a salon after receiving training to perform the technique.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 08/07/2013 and 11/01/2018
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: R.C. 4713.08(A)(1)
Rule Amplifies: R.C. 4713.01, R.C. 4713.14, R.C. 4713.28, R.C. 4713.35, R.C. 4713.39
Prior Effective Dates: 1/10/04, 3/30/2009