(A) A hair designer shall provide cosmetology services within a salon where the license is current, active and appropriate to the scope of practice of hair design for a hair designer as set forth in section 4713.01 of the Revised Code and the rules of the board.
(B) A hair designer shall maintain knowledge of the duties, responsibilities, and accountabilities of practice and shall practice in accordance with the following:
(1) The laws regulating the practice of hair design;
(2) The rules of the board;
(3) Any other applicable federal, state, and local laws and rules; and
(4) Position statements, standards for practice, or guidelines for practice from nationally recognized professional cosmetology or hair design entities; provided these statements, standards, or guidelines are consistent with existing laws or rules.
(C) A hair designer shall demonstrate competence and accountability in all areas of practice in which the hair designer is engaged which includes, but is not limited to, the following:
(1) Consistent performance of all aspects of hair design services according to acceptable and prevailing standards;
(2) Appropriate recognition, referral or consultation, and intervention, when a complication arises during or after the performance of a specific service or procedure;
(3) The hair designer demonstrates appropriate knowledge, skills, and abilities to provide the hair design service as licensed, and
(4) The hair designer service does not involve a function or procedure, which is prohibited by any other law or rule and does not exceed the definition of the practice of hair design in section 4713.01 of the Revised Code.
(D) Hair designers shall not provide any service that claims to have a medical or healing benefit. The scope of practice is limited to beautification, relaxation , and non-invasive services only. The term "therapy" shall only be used with services described in paragraph ( KK) of rule 4713-1-01 of the Administrative Code.
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 1/13/2022
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4713.08(A)(20), 4713.08(A)(1)
Rule Amplifies: 4713.01, 4713.35, 4713.15, 4713.14
Prior Effective Dates: 1/10/2004, 3/30/2009, 11/01/2013, 01/13/2017