(A) A natural hair stylist shall provide cosmetology services within a salon where the license is current, active and appropriate tothe scope of practice of natural hair styling for a natural hair stylist as set forth in section 4713.01 of the Revised Code and the rules of the board.
(B) A natural hair stylist shall maintain knowledge of the duties, responsibilities, and accountabilities of practice and shall practice in accordance with the following:
(1) The laws regulating the practice of natural hair styling;
(2) The rules of the board;
(3) Any other applicable federal, state and local laws and rules; and
(4) Position statements, standards for practice, or guidelines for practice from nationally recognized professional cosmetology or natural hair stylist entities; provided these statements, standards, or guidelines are consistent with existing laws or rules.
(C) A natural hair stylist shall demonstrate competence and accountability in all areas of practice in which the natural hair stylist is engaged which includes, but is not limited to, the following:
(1) Consistent performance of all aspects of natural hair styling services according to acceptable and prevailing standards, and
(2) Appropriate recognition, referral or consultation, and intervention, when a complication arises during or after the performance of a specific service or procedure.
(D) A natural hair stylist may provide advanced practice services provided:
(1) The natural hair stylist obtains appropriate education, which emanates from a recognized body of knowledge relative to the natural hair styling service to be provided;
(2) The natural hair stylist demonstrates appropriate knowledge, skills, and abilities to provide the natural hair stylist service as licensed;
(3) The natural hair stylist maintains documentation satisfactory to the "Board" of meeting the requirements set forth in paragraphs (D)(1) and (D)(2) of this rule;
(4) The natural hair stylist service does not involve a function or procedure, which is prohibited by any other law or rule and does not exceed the definition of the practice of natural hair styling in section 4713.01 of the Revised Code, and
(5) Natural hair stylists performing services that are unregulated by the state shall follow rule 4713-8-09 of the Administrative Code.
(E) Natural hair stylists shall not provide any service that claims to have a medical or healing benefit. The scope of practice is limited to beautification and relaxation services only. The scope of practice is limited to non-invasive services only. Services offered using the term therapy shall be within the meaning defined in paragraph (LL) of rule 4713-1-01 of the Administrative Code.
(F) Natural hair stylists may use advanced techniques in a salon after receiving training to perform the technique.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 08/07/2013 and 11/01/2018
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: R.C. 4713.08(A)(1)
Rule Amplifies: R.C. 4713.01 , R.C. 4713.14 , R.C. 4713.28 , R.C. 4713.35 , R.C. 4713.39
Prior Effective Dates: 1/10/04, 9/28/08 , 3/30/2009