(A) A manicurist shall provide cosmetology services within a salon where the license is current, active and appropriate to the scope of practice of manicuring for a manicurist as set forth in section 4713.01 of the Revised Code and the rules of the board.
(B) A manicurist shall maintain knowledge of the duties, responsibilities, and accountabilities of practice and shall practice in accordance with the following:
(1) The laws regulating the practice of manicuring;
(2) The rules of the board;
(3) Any other applicable federal, state and local laws and rules; and
(4) Position statements, standards for practice, or guidelines for practice from nationally recognized professional cosmetology or manicuring entities; provided these statements, standards, or guidelines are consistent with existing laws or rules.
(C) A manicurist shall demonstrate competence and accountability in all areas of practice in which the manicurist is engaged, that includes, but is not limited to, the following:
(1) Consistent performance of all aspects of manicuring services according to acceptable and prevailing standards, and
(2) Appropriate recognition, referral or consultation, and intervention, when a complication arises during or after the performance of a specific service or procedure.
(D) A manicurist may provide advanced practice services provided:
(1) The manicurist obtains appropriate education, which emanates from a recognized body of knowledge relative to the cosmetology service to be provided;
(2) The manicurist demonstrates appropriate knowledge, skills, and abilities to provide the manicuring service as licensed;
(3) The manicurist maintains documentation satisfactory to the board of meeting the requirements set forth in paragraphs (D)(1) and (D)(2) of this rule;
(4) The manicurist service does not involve a function or procedure, which is prohibited by any other law or rule and does not exceed the definition of the practice of manicuring in section 4713.01 of the Revised , and
(5) Manicurists performing services that are unregulated by the state in salons shall follow rule 4713-8-09 of the Administrative Code.
(E) Manicurists shall not provide any service that claims to have a medical or healing benefit. The scope of practice is limited to beautification and relaxation services only. The scope of practice is limited to non-invasive services only. Services offered using the term therapy shall be within the meaning defined in paragraph (LL) of rule 4713-1-01 of the Administrative Code.
(F) Manicurists may use advanced techniques in a salon after receiving training to perform the technique.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 08/07/2013 and 11/01/2018
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: R.C. 4713.08(A)(1)
Rule Amplifies: R.C. 4713.01 , R.C. 4713.14 , R.C. 4713.28 , R.C. 4713.35 , R.C. 4713.39
Prior Effective Dates: 1/10/04, 3/30/2009