(A) A manicurist shall provide cosmetology services within a salon where the license is current, active and appropriate to the scope of practice of manicuring for a manicurist as set forth in section 4713.01 of the Revised Code and the rules of the board.
(B) A manicurist shall maintain knowledge of the duties, responsibilities, and accountabilities of practice and shall practice in accordance with the following:
(1) The laws regulating the practice of manicuring;
(2) The rules of the board;
(3) Any other applicable federal, state, and local laws and rules; and
(4) Position statements, standards for practice, or guidelines for practice from nationally recognized professional cosmetology or manicuring entities; provided these statements, standards, or guidelines are consistent with existing laws or rules.
(C) A manicurist shall demonstrate competence and accountability in all areas of practice in which the manicurist is engaged, that includes, but is not limited to, the following:
(1) Consistent performance of all aspects of manicuring services according to acceptable and prevailing standards;
(2) Appropriate recognition, referral or consultation, and intervention, when a complication arises during or after the performance of a specific service or procedure;
(3) The manicurist demonstrates appropriate knowledge, skills, and abilities to provide the manicuring service as licensed, and
(4) The manicurist service does not involve a function or procedure, which is prohibited by any other law or rule and does not exceed the definition of the practice of manicuring in section 4713.01 of the Revised Code.
(D) Manicurists shall not provide any service that claims to have a medical or healing benefit. The scope of practice is limited to beautification, relaxation , and non-invasive services only. The term "therapy" shall only be used with services described in paragraph ( KK) of rule 4713-1-01 of the Administrative Code.
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 1/13/2022
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4713.08(A)(20), 4713.08(A)(1)
Rule Amplifies: 4713.01, 4713.35, 4713.15, 4713.14
Prior Effective Dates: 1/10/2004, 3/30/2009, 11/01/2013, 01/13/2017