(A) A manicurist shall provide cosmetology services within an adequately licensed salon, and within the scope of practice of manicuring for a manicurist as set forth in section 4731.01 of the Revised Code and the rules of the "Board".
(B) A manicurist shall maintain knowledge of the duties, responsibilities, and accountabilities of practice and shall practice in accordance with the following:
(1) The laws regulating the practice of manicuring;
(2) The rules of the "Board";
(3) Any other applicable federal and state laws and rules; and
(4) Position statements, standards for practice, or guidelines for practice from nationally recognized professional cosmetology or manicuring entities; provided these statements, standards, or guidelines are consistent with existing laws or rules.
(C) A manicurist shall demonstrate competence and accountability in all areas of practice in which the manicurist is engaged, which includes, but is not limited to, the following:
(1) Consistent performance of all aspects of manicuring services according to acceptable and prevailing standards; and
(2) Appropriate recognition, referral or consultation, and intervention, when a complication arises during or after the performance of a specific service or procedure.
(D) A manicurist may provide advanced manicuring services provided:
(1) The manicurist obtains appropriate education, which emanates from a recognized body of knowledge relative to the cosmetology service to be provided;
(2) The manicurist demonstrates appropriate knowledge, skills, and abilities to provide the cosmetology service;
(3) The manicurist maintains documentation satisfactory to the "Board" of meeting the requirements set forth in paragraphs (D)(1) and (D)(2) of this rule;
(4) The manicurist service does not involve a function or procedure, which is prohibited by any other law or rule and does not exceed the definition of the practice of manicuring in section 4713.01 of Revised Code.
(E) Manicurists shall not provide any service that claims to have a medical or healing benefit. The scope of practice is limited to beautification and relaxation services only. The scope of practice is limited to non-invasive services only. Services offered using the term therapy shall be within the meaning defined in paragraph (C)(6) of rule 4713-8-01 of the Administrative Code.
(F) Manicurists may perform services that are unregulated by the state in salons upon completing postgraduate training for those services as established by policy of the "Board" and required by rule 4713-13-12 of the Administrative Code. These services include but are not limited to body wraps, ear piercing, hypnosis for relaxation, etc.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 01/13/2009 and 03/30/2014
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: RC 4713.08(A)(1)
Rule Amplifies: RC 4713.01, 4713.15
Prior Effective Dates: 1/10/04