(A) A licensee shall not provide an advanced practice service in a salon or school until the board has reviewed and approved the service for use in licensed salons and schools and has determined that the advanced practice service is within the scope of the license held by the licensee.
(2) A request to review an advanced practice service shall be made to the board on forms provided by the board.
(3) The board at the time of approval will provide along with the approval any necessary restrictions for the use of each device, equipment, chemical, product and procedure covered by this rule.
(4) The licensee seeking to use a device, equipment, chemical, product or perform a procedure covered by this rule shall comply with the following general requirements:
(a) Salon and school owners shall ensure only licensees or students who have received approved manufacturers training are permitted to use or operate a device, equipment, chemical product or perform a procedure except for a device, equipment, chemical product, or procedure for which there is no training offered;
(b) Each licensee or student trained shall have a certificate of training for the device, equipment, chemical, product or procedure from the manufacturer or the manufacturers' authorized representative or a certificate showing training in the procedure from an authorized provider of such training. The licensee or student trained shall post the certificate of training in the room in which services are provided;
(c) Licensees using a device, equipment, chemical, or a product shall comply with the manufacturers' directions when using the device, equipment, chemical or product;
(d) Licensees or students using a device, equipment, chemical, product or performing a procedure shall advise clients if a manufacturer or originator of the procedure has recommended follow-up care after the use of the device, equipment, chemical, product, or procedure;
(e) If the manufacturer of a device, equipment, chemical, or product does not offer training the device or piece of equipment shall be authorized for use in the practice of cosmetology;
(f) A device, equipment, chemical, product or procedure used in salons and schools shall meet all federal drug administration, cosmetic ingredient review and/or guidelines of the esthetics manufacturers and distributors alliance of the American beauty association, and
(g) Any licensee seeking to use a device, equipment, product, chemical or to perform a procedure covered by this rule shall be responsible for ensuring the requirements of the board are followed.
(h) Licensees using a device, equipment, chemical, product or procedure qualifying as "advanced practice" under this rule shall provide the service only in a licensed school or salon except for those licensees issued a special permit under rule 4713-8-08 of the Administrative Code.
(B) Board licensees and other Ohio professional board licensees may provide permanent makeup services in a salon if they comply with all of the following requirements:
(1) The salon shall obtain an approval to operate a business that offers tattooing services from the board of health of the city or general health district in which the business is located and shall comply with all requirements of Chapter 3730. of the Revised Code and Chapter 3701-9 of the Administrative Code.
(2) All licensees providing permanent makeup services shall comply with all requirements of Chapter 3730. of the Revised Code and Chapter 3701-9 of the Administrative Code.
(C) Advanced techniques may be introduced as part of a cosmetology school curriculum, or obtained through CE providers, trade shows, private training or demonstrations and do not require certification, although some manufacturers may certify the use of the product or service. Advanced techniques constitute an enhancement of the basic skills taught to each licensee in schools and, for that reason, advanced technique services do not require approval of the board before a licensee trained to use them does so in a salon.
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 11/01/2018
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4713-08(A)(19)
Rule Amplifies: R.C. 4713.02 , 4713.07(G) , R.C. 4713.14 , R.C. 4713.28 , R.C. 4713.35 , R.C. 4713.39 , R.C. 4713.64
Prior Effective Dates: 1/10/04, 3/30/2009, 11/1/2012